The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

So like this one?

I would like to know where it is now and what line it is from. I think he has great type, great tail, beetle green, dark feather with good luster and not stringy, level wing, dark beak, yellow legs, breast bone deep and in front of the vertical eyeball line a bit, legs dead center, and overall great balance. He also has one of the nicer combs as well. It would be interesting to hear what the upline parents look like. I wonder if he came from an "on purpose" breeding to get to this result or if he is just one of the lucky ones. I can tell you, I would like to have some carbon copies of this bird. I hope he breeds true to his type because he is great looking. It would be fun to have a top view picture of him too. His back is about 12-13 chicken wire holes long as far as I can see. Small spurs..... might not be very old yet.

Who has him?
LL
Okay all, I just got an answer back from Ryan. I guess he is a pretty busy young man with the shows. This is the response to the question about the bird pictured above. Hey there... I no longer have that RIR... He wasn't all that nice... Looked awesome in photo... But was small in person.

Jim

rookie mistake. Just because he is seven pounds cant he be breed to a big female and breed this great type up to a pound over standard weight.

Odds are he likes them big as that's what a lot of people want a big big Reds. One of the best symmetrical looking males for back, tail under and over top carriage I have seen in a while.

O well. Nice picture for all of you to look for and when you see Rhode island red bantams the are suppose to have top lines flat like this male had . Did you see the lifts in the bantams I posted?

If you want to have Rhode Island Reds you better know what you are buying or you are going to get screwed at these swap meets sales ect.

You need to know the difference between a Rock, A Red and Wyandotte if you are going to be raising dual purpose chickens. You will learn. It will take a while to get your back yard ideals on to what these breeds are suppose to look like. This is normal.

Got my Poultry Press today. Did you get YOURS?

rookie mistake. Just because he is seven pounds cant he be breed to a big female and breed this great type up to a pound over standard weight.

Odds are he likes them big as that's what a lot of people want a big big Reds. One of the best symmetrical looking males for back, tail under and over top carriage I have seen in a while.

O well. Nice picture for all of you to look for and when you see Rhode island red bantams the are suppose to have top lines flat like this male had . Did you see the lifts in the bantams I posted?

If you want to have Rhode Island Reds you better know what you are buying or you are going to get screwed at these swap meets sales ect.

You need to know the difference between a Rock, A Red and Wyandotte if you are going to be raising dual purpose chickens. You will learn. It will take a while to get your back yard ideals on to what these breeds are suppose to look like. This is normal.

Got my copy. Have not had a chance to look at it yet.

Ron

About a week ago I asked if anyone on this site could help me put some lines on a back of a red bantam and two folks came forward to help me I wanted to blur the face of the fowl and they did this as well. Thank you for doing this. I guess if you help enough people get what they want sometimes they will come back and help you get what you want. What goes around comes around.

So may the mission begin to educate one of oldest H Standard Breed most popular fowl in the APA year book. God knows we screwed them up over the last twenty years. I finally finished my investigation and have the answerer to the source of it all over 30 years ago. Hope to put together a good article for Terry for the Rhode Island Red Chronicle this Fall. Maybe we can locate some of the old timers who still have good Brick Shape Rhode Island Red bantams like New York Reds use to have.

So who do you think has the top flat top line brick shape Rhode Island Red bantam strains in the USA or Canada today? Just post their names it can be more than five people.

Thanks for your help. The lesson here is watch not only width of back on your large fowl reds so its even but WATCH the width of feather of your large fowl reds.

Does anyone know what the standard calls for in width of feather???????????????bob

My thoughts too on that male its ashamed that a bird of such character and good lines was culled because it is not big enough to win champion LF I bet he would have made some awesome looking off-springs placed with the correct dam(s) IMO J/S

PS I saw the hugest biggest RCRIR I ever saw in the Magnolia classic back in the early spring he got second behind a Black Orpington male which just barely a tad bigger than the Red was maybe the judge placed the Red second for being TOO BIG(I doubt it, LOL) but anyway I saw it with my own 2 eyes and it would've completely dwarfed my Red boys here and they are right on Q for the standard weights J/S here too
hmm.png

Jeff

Boy you get the award of the day Matt. I will ship your gift certificate to Elebeta.

Yes in bantams if you go past a medium width of feather and get caught up in the fad nice wide feather the Cochin genes start to flood in and her comes the cushions and the short backs. That is what was used to make a Red Bantam in the 1930s and still haunts us today more than anything else for type. There is another mystery gene that is screwing us up in Red Bantams and I would never be leave it but I think Mr. Reese was write 24 years ago and I was wrong. Would you even think of someone crossing a Plymouth Rock Bantam onto a great strain of Red Bantams like he had to try to make them Darker. Stay Tuned.

Back
Top Bottom