The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have been lurking for a while, too darn busy to get very involved in the last while. That Male in the middle photo is about as good a bird as I have seen for a while. He does look a lot like the bird that Greg used several years ago. He may be even a little straighter in the back, and for sure has the brick look. I really like him. My pens are all broken up, need to get something together for the spring. Lost a bunch of birds to a **** skunk this spring, too long a story to go into.

I will try to get caught up again next year. Still love looking at the good reds.

I have been lurking for a while, too darn busy to get very involved in the last while. That Male in the middle photo is about as good a bird as I have seen for a while. He does look a lot like the bird that Greg used several years ago. He may be even a little straighter in the back, and for sure has the brick look. I really like him. My pens are all broken up, need to get something together for the spring. Lost a bunch of birds to a **** skunk this spring, too long a story to go into.

I will try to get caught up again next year. Still love looking at the good reds.
Great to see you on here Paul. Sorry to hear about the skunk. I trapped and shot two of them in the past 3 weeks. Take care.
Jimmy

My 30 hens that lay, excluding the ones the haven't started yet, never eat the oyster shells. Had the same bowl out there for months and months.

I can tell when they are ready to start laying. The ones that will start soon will start to squawk A LOT!!. Never have failed me yet.
I have one that does that and then she'll lay an egg shortly. Man she sounds like she's in pain she squawks so loudly. Although I've been told mine are heritage.

Oyster Shell - I have have maybe 20 pens right now. One never touches it, most have some usage but not a lot and then there is the one with my layer white leghorns and I have to give it to them at least once a week. I use a 1 pound coffee can so I know how much each pen is using. I find that certain breeds send to eat more than others too.

So, how many RIR folks from this board are going to the Ohio Nationals? Would love to visit and chat up the Reds a bit.

I would love to go but not sure the other half will allow me to be gone for a week and a half driving and being at the show. I have never gone and hear it is something to behold. Several of the guys from WA/OR might be coming so could possibly hitch a ride with one of them.

Hi Paul: Isn't it nice to see some of your birds that you shared showing up on these pages and are stunning to look at.

I think I found the male you where talking about that Greg used that you where talking about.

I will post him and then the male that is from him many years past. Keep posting. bob

Greg Called me one day and said you remember those two males you sold that jr. in Texarkana Texas the male that had the damaged middle point? Yes I got him right in front of my legs eating what and how can I mate him to my females? I said do you have any of my old females you got from me? He said two one 8 and one 7 years old. Mate those old old hens to this old cock bird. He did and got this male.

Last edited:
My Goodness, This is the hardest time of the year for me to go through these guys and see which ones I want to keep. These are some of my birds from Matt and they really are getting so nice. They are about 6 1/2 months old and just as pretty as they can be. Most of them have really nice length and width to their backs, all of them have nice feather quality and color. Most have really good size. A few have a little more rise to the tail set. Some of them don't have the nicest comb (points) but that really isn't a big thing to me. I'm really wanting the nicest brick shape and a few of them are just great in that area. It is just that they are so nice that I hate to butcher them but I don't want to wait to long because I don't want them getting tough on me. lol I am going to do a few birds this weekend, don't know if any of these will be included or not. lol I'm in no hurry but I have a few birds here that I know aren't any good for breeding so I'm going to go ahead and take care of these ones. Sorry for so many pictures but it seems that this thread is dying out.; lol

Back
Top Bottom