The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Hey all, this picture was taken in 2010 when I had some of PineGroves reds (his name is William but not sure about his last name)
anyway my daughter showed our pullet and won not only grand champion but champion over all. It was the most amazing feeling for her and us. We only ended up with this hen we named "Ruby" and she actually died of a respiratory infection.

Just wanted to show you all that I love this breed! Now we have 11 of Jim's heritage reds from the Underwood line. I am hoping to keep this breed and be well in the know and mostly preventative medicine so these guys are well their whole lives.

They are sure beautiful!!!
Gee, I sure hope that these babies that you hatched turn out as well. lol That is a big act to follow.

Good post and I agree 100% with it. Not all folks want the same thing and that doesn't make you wrong nor does it mean that you don't have good birds. Gosh, look at how many people have the little old Heinz 57 dogs and they can make the best companion's for folks. If a person is wanting a little flock to keep them in eggs, it isn't always the purity of the breed that makes a good chicken. lol I have the pure lines but I still keep a few of the other breeds for selling eggs for eating.
Jim
I do love my birds no matter what they are lol. Just disappointed at how some (NOT ALL) can take advantage of another. Heck all my dogs are mutts!! And they are not worth less to me than some full breed dog. When looking for RIR's I was looking for a memory....My Great grand mom had them and She raised me for part of my young years. She was such a wonderful, strong, woman!! A woman I wish I could be even 1 percent like. SHe had them all over the yard lol. I still remember when her best rooster chased me one to many times. He went in the pot and I felt so bad. She told me Manda....you are worth more than the best rooster in the county lol. Silly but it stuck with me. I am working on getting some good RIR from a BYC recommended breeder to be sent in the spring. In the meant time the reds I have now will still be loved just as much and the eggs just as wonderful!!! Sorry for my momentary loss of composure lol.

Last edited:
Aamanda

Think of it this way. In late winter, early spring, you can get a box of 24 eggs from any one of the folks here who can send you fertile eggs. With a good hatch, you'll have over a dozen real RIR chicks in March to care for. Since those chicks won't be laying eggs until this time next year, at the earliest, you have a year to care for those production birds. It is those production reds that will be providing you good eggs for the next year.

That's what they're for and that's what they are good at.

You will so appreciate watching the real deal chicks grow out. It will amaze you and give you so much joy. Once you've got a flock of old time, real birds, whatever the breed? You just aren't very likely to go back to production type stock. Meanwhile, enjoy the eggs. Light 'em this winter and keep their production flowing. Look forward to next year. It'll be here soon, very soon.

Last edited:
I do love my birds no matter what they are lol. Just disappointed at how some (NOT ALL) can take advantage of another. Heck all my dogs are mutts!! And they are not worth less to me than some full breed dog. When looking for RIR's I was looking for a memory....My Great grand mom had them and She raised me for part of my young years. She was such a wonderful, strong, woman!! A woman I wish I could be even 1 percent like. SHe had them all over the yard lol. I still remember when her best rooster chased me one to many times. He went in the pot and I felt so bad. She told me Manda....you are worth more than the best rooster in the county lol. Silly but it stuck with me. I am working on getting some good RIR from a BYC recommended breeder to be sent in the spring. In the meant time the reds I have now will still be loved just as much and the eggs just as wonderful!!! Sorry for my momentary loss of composure lol.

Thank you for sharing that memory with us, Aamanda, it is precious. Your great grandmother taught you so many important things with one act - that we don't keep mean cock birds, that family comes first, and that you were well loved by her.

Gee, I sure hope that these babies that you hatched turn out as well. lol That is a big act to follow.
Jim,

I think they are gonna be great!! I have no idea who's line was Williams, or if it was his own line of reds? But the birds you have are just as amazing!

I have great thoughts on these babies from you! Thank you again and again for the eggs!!!

Aamanda

Think of it this way. In late winter, early spring, you can get a box of 24 eggs from any one of the folks here who can send you fertile eggs. With a good hatch, you'll have over a dozen real RIR chicks in March to care for. Since those chicks won't be laying eggs until this time next year, at the earliest, you have a year to care for those production birds. It is those production reds that will be providing you good eggs for the next year.

That's what they're for and that's what they are good at.

You will so appreciate watching the real deal chicks grow out. It will amaze you and give you so much joy. Once you've got a flock of old time, real birds, whatever the breed? You just aren't very likely to go back to production type stock. Meanwhile, enjoy the eggs. Light 'em this winter and keep their production flowing. Look forward to next year. It'll be here soon, very soon.
So very true!!! I just had to....reboot lol. I am thankful to everyone with such nice words for me!! I have the electric run for the birds and hope for some eggs in Jan or feb. It will keep my family of five all told in eggs!! And some for customers. We have very little cash here but live off our land. So it was an expensive lesson lol. But I wont be getting rid of the reds I have either. I raised em from chicks and I know them and love em. In the spring I look forward to new chicks and the breed I learned to love as a child.
big_smile.png

Thank you for sharing that memory with us, Aamanda, it is precious. Your great grandmother taught you so many important things with one act - that we don't keep mean cock birds, that family comes first, and that you were well loved by her.
Yes. Her love and direction and that one act lol carried me through the many years I had to be raised by my bio mom. Raised by her and understanding at that time in history what a "prized" rooster was worth...and knowing that to someone I was worth more than that lol. My great grand mom used to sweep her dirt floor. The well water came up in a bucket...not a pump. And on washing day her she was red up to her elbows from the lye soap. Her husband was a hard but good man. I try to pass that on to my kids. They feed critters, gather eggs, work in the garden and throw hay. They understand what a drought can do. I am blessed lol

Well so far the only breeder to get back in touch with me is Dick Horstman. I really like the pics of his birds and am working on setting up chick shipment in the spring. Any one have a month that is the best to start shipping? When is to early?

Well so far the only breeder to get back in touch with me is Dick Horstman. I really like the pics of his birds and am working on setting up chick shipment in the spring. Any one have a month that is the best to start shipping? When is to early???
Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I received eggs this past Feb 11 and they were fine. If folks put the heat packs in the bottom of the box, I think you could ship them anytime. Personally, I think that the heat in the summer is worse then the cold on shipping them.
Jim

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know that I received eggs this past Feb 11 and they were fine. If folks put the heat packs in the bottom of the box, I think you could ship them anytime. Personally, I think that the heat in the summer is worse then the cold on shipping them.
Jim
I agree but unfortunately I don't have a "Bator" I have some Bantam for brooding next spring and right now I have some lil ducklings under the heat light. So no room for chicks. When end of winter/early spring comes around I will have the light box ready again for them. And when it gets nice out they will be ready to go out! When the ducks are done with the light im afraid it would be to cold by them to ship em

Back
Top Bottom