The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Timid puppies isn't the word. LOL. I had to take my 2 cockerel's out of the rooster area because they were getting killed and won't come out of the house. I got another one shipped from Ron and he see's me coming and runs!! HAHAHA Tried putting the new cockerel with the older one Walter and he humps the younger boy.
sad.png
Need to start getting the breeder houses built. Just having a hard time trying to figure what I'm going to build for those. Have to build like 4 this year. So trying to go as cheap as possible. Not sure how big, do they need roosts, 1 nesting box or 2??
idunno.gif
Have you ever seen Chris Herzog's breeding pens. They really look nice. They are pictured on his web site. click here. He has lots of pictures there that maybe you can get an few ideas.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I said click here then didn't put his site URL there. lol Oh well, look through, find his name click user name and his site is there. lol Senior moment. ha,ha,ha

Last edited:
Here's a few updated pics. There around 8 months now. Here's a pic of Walter. I know his comb sticks out but I want to build a strong body type. He's the best one. Actually the only one. HAHAHA

Here is the one I just got from Ron. Hard to take a pic of him. Can't get within 10 yards of him. He's molting his tail.

And here are some of the hens.

And Ron so you believe me, my hens started laying last month. Here is one that happened to be in there today.

I'd almost say that when the young boy was at Ron's that he wasn't that skittish. I can do almost anything with mine but if a stranger comes around they want nothing to do with them. I never realized years ago that chickens knew their owners so well. If a friend comes to my home and walks into my layer coop with me the birds all run outside cackling. It takes them quite a while to settle into their new home once moved. I guess they know the hand that feeds them. Anything new or different causes their attitude to change.
Jim

Have you ever seen Chris Herzog's breeding pens. They really look nice. They are pictured on his web site. click here. He has lots of pictures there that maybe you can get an few ideas.
Chris's pens were my inspiration...
Still need to finish the front and rear trap doors on the two end pens, but putting the clear vinyl on at 7am this morning was a higher priority... gonna be in the teens here tonight. I need to add hook and eye latches too - as you can tell from the logs holding them closed in front.
Right now they are simply housing two cockerels, but will be used for breeding pairs and trios over the winter.
The clear vinyl is attached with Velcro and rolls up and down depending on the weather.
The lower half on the back side is a hinged door that flips down for easy access to both feeding and egg gathering.
The plywood partitions on the lower interior half are removable to covert the entire thing to a grow out pen over the summer.

I'd almost say that when the young boy was at Ron's that he wasn't that skittish. I can do almost anything with mine but if a stranger comes around they want nothing to do with them. I never realized years ago that chickens knew their owners so well. If a friend comes to my home and walks into my layer coop with me the birds all run outside cackling. It takes them quite a while to settle into their new home once moved. I guess they know the hand that feeds them. Anything new or different causes their attitude to change.
Jim

I agree. My wife walks down to the hen area and they all run to the other side. I walk in and I can't move because I have 30 hens all around my feet.

Still need to finish the front and rear trap doors on the two end pens, but putting the clear vinyl on at 7am this morning was a higher priority... gonna be in the teens here tonight. I need to add hook and eye latches too - as you can tell from the logs holding them closed in front.
Right now they are simply housing two cockerels, but will be used for breeding pairs and trios over the winter.
The clear vinyl is attached with Velcro and rolls up and down depending on the weather.
The lower half on the back side is a hinged door that flips down for easy access to both feeding and egg gathering.
The plywood partitions on the lower interior half are removable to covert the entire thing to a grow out pen over the summer.

where do they lay there eggs? And how many can you fit in each section?

Very nice.

Back
Top Bottom