The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

2day old single comb bantam

I use Adams flea spray you can buy them at Wall Mart and feed stores. Spray not in the vent areas but around the vent under the wings. the Mites should leave and repeat again in a week then watch and spray when needed.

In regards to the Old Rose Comb strain from way back I don't recall his name in my studies. In that time period there where thousands of members of the Rhode Island Red Club. During the 1928 to 32 time period they shipped out 40,000 Rhode Island Red Journals to subscribers the Red Club at one time had about 4,000 or more members. After the depression and the introduction of Production Reds to compete against the Standard breed reds in egg laying contest the membership went down and then in 1944 the Rhode Island Red Journal folded. The Red club had about 700 members then and that's what started the Rhode Island Red Chronicle to this period. The Underwood Rose Combs are some good birds. If you can you need to pick Gary's brain and learn all you can about breeding color. I did and it has helped me for years. He was my first mentor when I got back 21 years ago.

This is a great comeback year for the Rhode Island Red movement. I hope you join the Rhode Island Red Club and support the new young members who will take this club back to the heights it once was. This breed of chicken always attacks the top people who own them. That is why this breed is still going after all these years and the old timers from the 1930s would be proud of you all.

Bob, here are current pictures of Hollywood. I think Hollywood is a he. He is an offspring of the birds I got from Matt.

Back
Top Bottom