The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

This is a very interesting thread! I never really realized that there was such a difference within the Rhode Island Red breed. Im glad I found this ... I purchased 2 chicks this year that are entirely different but are both supposed to be RIRs. I thought the hatchery mixed up my order at first but after reading this I guess they are both RIRs.

This first RIR chick came from a hatchery. She is a lighter red with some black ticking in her wing feathers.

And the RIR chick pictured below came from a breeder. S/He has a darker red feather color and no black.

Give them a few more weeks and you will really see the difference. lol Still, enjoy them both.

As I started to read this thread I definitely realized exactly what you mentioned. They are beautiful birds! Yes much darker ! We all learn as we go:) good starters for us. As the years go on and we learn more about genetics and breeding we would love to have true breeds. Not the mass production. Good learning experience. Yes, we will enjoy our birds and the eggs. Thank you for your information! Hope you don't mind if I read along and enjoy the pictures...

@Angie16hearts

Where are you in California?

A couple of people have some of the ones on this thread here.

Oh my gosh. It has been 50+ years since I've had any of these. Like most I went with incubators to hatch more eggs but there is noting like letting nature take care of it's own. Saturday I checked this little girls eggs and no pips or anything. I didn't think she was going to do anything at all. Last night when I went in to feed the girls, I heard a peep from a chick. This morning, this is what I found. I still haven't really bothered her. I have her pen all fixed up to move her and her biddies to. I am so overly excited. Momma is an Olive egger and the chicks are from my Reese birds eggs. What a wonderful surprise this was. I saw 3 or 4 sticking their heads out so far. lol I just have to say Oh Thank You Jesus for such a wonderful gift. Another miracle of life.

And now there are 8 from 12 eggs hatched. lol
yesss.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote: I have toddlers now. They were making mud snow chickens yesterday.

Oh my gosh. It has been 50+ years since I've had any of these. Like most I went with incubators to hatch more eggs but there is noting like letting nature take care of it's own. Saturday I checked this little girls eggs and no pips or anything. I didn't think she was going to do anything at all. Last night when I went in to feed the girls, I heard a peep from a chick. This morning, this is what I found. I still haven't really bothered her. I have her pen all fixed up to move her and her biddies to. I am so overly excited. Momma is an Olive egger and the chicks are from my Reese birds eggs. What a wonderful surprise this was. I saw 3 or 4 sticking their heads out so far. lol I just have to say Oh Thank You Jesus for such a wonderful gift. Another miracle of life.

By broody sumatra is hatching today. Her chicks are EE mutts though. This being my first broody ever I did not risk good eggs. Now I wish I had had a bit more faith in her.
It is so amazing to watch the hen as she puffs up to 3 times her normal size, just to cover the chicks and the eggs.

Last edited:
I have toddlers now. They were making mud snow chickens yesterday.

By broody sumatra is hatching today. Her chicks are EE mutts though. This being my first broody ever I did not risk good eggs. Now I wish I had had a bit more faith in her.
It is so amazing to watch the hen as she puffs up to 3 times her normal size, just to cover the chicks and the eggs.
What gets me more then anything else with them is how they can raise up and not squash the little ones when they are hatching etc. My goodness their legs has to get so tires. Now to me, this is going back to heritage when we allow them to do their own thing. I'm going to build a few pens to put the broody hens in next year when they want to set, away from the rest of the flock. Wishing you super luck with your hatch. Mine still has some eggs under her so I'm in no hurry to move her yet. If any of the eggs look good when I move her, I'll put them in the bator and if they hatch I'll put them under momma. lol

What gets me more then anything else with them is how they can raise up and not squash the little ones when they are hatching etc. My goodness their legs has to get so tires. Now to me, this is going back to heritage when we allow them to do their own thing. I'm going to build a few pens to put the broody hens in next year when they want to set, away from the rest of the flock. Wishing you super luck with your hatch. Mine still has some eggs under her so I'm in no hurry to move her yet. If any of the eggs look good when I move her, I'll put them in the bator and if they hatch I'll put them under momma. lol

Amen.

I have six persistent broodies right now but nothing I want to put under them at the moment. I also keep Silkies just for brooding (okay, they also make good pets and sales help feed the fllock). After seeing those little heads pop out for the first time, is when the young ones start hopping up on low branches or momma's back to hitch a ride. So adorable. Really makes the crappy work days worth it when I can come home to that.

Getting back on track --- I've noticed some of my reds have less, little or no horn coloring on their legs now. Is that something that comes and goes or is it something I should take into account when selecting my breeders? All of them have maintained the dark horn beaks.

Last edited:
Amen.

I have six persistent broodies right now but nothing I want to put under them at the moment. I also keep Silkies just for brooding (okay, they also make good pets and sales help feed the fllock). After seeing those little heads pop out for the first time, is when the young ones start hopping up on low branches or momma's back to hitch a ride. So adorable. Really makes the crappy work days worth it when I can come home to that.

Getting back on track --- I've noticed some of my reds have less, little or no horn coloring on their legs now. Is that something that comes and goes or is it something I should take into account when selecting my breeders? All of them have maintained the dark horn beaks.
Bob always said look for the yellow legs and dark horn. Most will loose a lot of the leg color when laying (hens of course) but the pictures I posted are both male and female and they haven't lost any color. These are my Reese birds and I do notice a lot more on them then the other lines that I have. Gosh, some of these hens legs look almost orange and the horn is almost black. I only have one cock bird that doesn't have it in this line. I do have a few of my Nelson and Underwood girls that have really nice horn also but nothing like the Reese. I guess this is just a good trait with this line. I will sure try to keep it in mine by only using the ones with it as my breeders.

Love the broody's. lol She has 8 so far out of 12 eggs. I put the others in my incubator to see if they will hatch. If so, I'll put them under the mom at night after they dry. lol Try and fool her. I just left her set in the coop with the other chickens but moved her now into her own little pen. Will post picture in a day or two.

I moved my broody hen and her 2 other sumatra hens when the broody was on day 14. So they are in a small 4*8 pen. My issue is when the second sumatra went broody i gave her eggs but now I'm watching to see if she stays with her group of eggs or the new chicks. The 2 hens have been sharing a nest for about 6 days and passing eggs back and forth. I have an incubator ready though just in case the 2nd sumatra attaches herself to the chicks. The second group of eggs had 3 of my RIR eggs in it so I'm really wanting the hen to hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom