The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Fred, I have heard Don say this before as well. I totally disagree with him but I guess everyone has a right to an opinion.

Matt

I completely understand, Matt. It's all just part of what makes this fancy, well…. fanciful, I guess.
smile.png
Sure cannot fault the man's success, that's for sure. Probably should come with one of those safety labels though. "Do not try this at home". hahaha

Lights no lights...all depends on the breeder and what they are after. We have sun light from 6 AM to 10 PM June - Mid August as a rule. Just about to hit September and I have noticed that my pullets have slowed down on eggs. Not sure if it is because of less light or that I was gone for a week showing cattle and birds and someone else was doing chores. Someone else doing chores is never as good as if I do them but when you have to be gone you do what you can. I do run artificial light on my birds to keep them in lay. My show stock I do not have on the same light schedule as the laying flock. One has to remember that egg production is a light sensitive thing. My commercial parakeets had to have 14 hours or I did not get chicks. They were always kept on a 14 hour timer light. Same thing for the chickens...I usually started lights the 1st of November and start cutting back the end of March. Often start at 4 AM with lights on and lights off by 9 AM because natural light was up and going. I always let them go to bed on their own clock with the end of natural light. The birds do well if you get them up early and let them go to bed when the sun goes down much better than keeping the lights on from 8 AM to 10 PM or keep them on 24/7.

All of my coops have night lights in them. I'm sure I'm an oddball. My boys usually start crowing around 4 to 4:30 every morning for a little while then stop and start in again around dawn. Some of the younger boys are just starting to crow. They are hilarious sounding with their attempts at crowing.

awn. Some of the younger boys are just starting to crow. They are hilarious sounding with their attempts at crowing.
The first time I heard one of mine try to crow I was in the barn and I said what was that and kept listening until I could hear where the weird sound was coming from and it dawned on my what it was and I still stop when they start crowing to be sure I am hearing right.

Greetings everyone! Trying at the moment to track down a good trio or quad (or two) of both single and rose comb varieties in Indiana. If any one could point me in the right direction with some names/emails/phone numbers, hopefully I'll be joining in on the forward progress of this amazing breed!

Back
Top Bottom