The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

We got 1 1/2 inches then got another 1 1/4 yesterday was a big surprise but we aren't complaining need the water and some parts of the state have had too much.

We got just a little over ¼" last night. I wish it would have been 1¼". Our grass is screaming for a drink. We don't grow much in the summer because it is too hot, but in a couple of months we will be planting our gardens. We do have an underground drip irrigation system. We pull the tapes up to till the beds then bury the tapes back in trenches and plant next to the tapes. Thought I'd share a few pictures. Some of these are older pictures but the garden beds are still there and the same. We do rotate the plants so we don't plant the same thing in the same bed year after year.

The Andrew sisters helping DH. Also some of the coops in the background. All different coops. As our flock increased we would add another coop

Just waiting on the land and house to close. 30 or so days!!
he.gif
I'm dieing here with no chickens since I had to sell them all of to move.
hit.gif
But I did meet a very nice couple on here that I went to look at a trio of Gary's RC Reds. SO i have them to look forward to!!
droolin.gif
These 30 days are going to take FOREVER!!!!

Our precipitation has been up and down this season. Tomatoes only did fair and are about shot. The Red Pontiacs (only one row planted) produced more than 115 lbs of potatos as you can tell from the first pic taken in June. And the peppers are bringing up the rear and have done better than usual but I have broken down and watered them twice over the last two weeks - took the second pic below last week.
We don't have irrigation here but do have water tanks to gravity water with when necessary.
So... both corn plantings did well (and no smut this year), as well as both plantings of squash and beans.
So all we have left in the big garden is pepper, tomatos, sweet potatos, cantaloupe and okra.
Carrots, greens, broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts go in this week. Onions are a month off yet.
I love fall... down time on the farm. Main harvest is over and all the winter babies haven't started arriving yet.

Just waiting on the land and house to close. 30 or so days!! :he   I'm dieing here with no chickens since I had to sell them all of to move. :hit  But I did meet a very nice couple on here that I went to look at a trio of Gary's RC Reds. SO i have them to look forward to!! :drool   These 30 days are going to take FOREVER!!!!

Enjoyed having you. I can talk farm animals forever - as you have now learned first hand. We'll even have UT orange flags on your car before it's all over. ;-)

Our precipitation has been up and down this season. Tomatoes only did fair and are about shot. The Red Pontiacs (only one row planted) produced more than 115 lbs of potatos as you can tell from the first pic taken in June. And the peppers are bringing up the rear and have done better than usual but I have broken down and watered them twice over the last two weeks - took the second pic below last week.
We don't have irrigation here but do have water tanks to gravity water with when necessary.
So... both corn plantings did well (and no smut this year), as well as both plantings of squash and beans.
So all we have left in the big garden is pepper, tomatos, sweet potatos, cantaloupe and okra.
Carrots, greens, broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts go in this week. Onions are a month off yet.
I love fall... down time on the farm. Main harvest is over and all the winter babies haven't started arriving yet.

And they WERE mighty good peppers too!!
droolin.gif

Had a question. I'm getting a trio of RC Underwoods. If I get Underwood SC and breed the two together would I get a mix? Knowing that the RC is the dominate gene.

Had a question. I'm getting a trio of RC Underwoods. If I get Underwood SC and breed the two together would I get a mix? Knowing that the RC is the dominate gene.
I have RC RIW. I have never crossed them but their must have been a cross somewhere before I got them, which has been several years ago. All of my original RC RIWs are gone and the only ones I have now are ones that I hatched out. I have never had a single comb until this year and out of 2 separate hatches I got 1 in one hatch and 2 in another hatch. I think the single comb may have been from one of my original roosters I got from another breeder who told me that it was possible to get a SC but said they had no SC and all of their RC were pure but I think they may have gotten a SC at one time or another so knew it was possible.

Back
Top Bottom