The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have had Production Reds too many years ago. Now I have the Reese/Mohawk line. When people come over and see my birds they are surprised for one how dark they are and ask me what breed they are and I hell them Heritage Rhode Island Reds. Most people don't care about lines just eggs, but my Reese birds are usually my best layers.

They did that to me all the time. They would ask what breeds I had and they would say I have heritage reds too. I would say u sure they are heritage or production reds. They would say heritage. Then they come over and see mine (Rons Line) and would say I guess I dont. Then they would buy me out.  HAHAHAHAHa

This is when I use the phrase "standard bred" instead of the word heritage. It at least causes people to pause long enough to ask what standards breed means. Most people have production birds and don't even know what a standard is. It's a good way to get them curious to learn more about the breed without them getting defensive of their own birds.

This is when I use the phrase "standard bred" instead of the word heritage. It at least causes people to pause long enough to ask what standards breed means. Most people have production birds and don't even know what a standard is. It's a good way to get them curious to learn more about the breed without them getting defensive of their own birds.
They may get just a little defensive over the phone, but once they come out and see them there attitudes take a 180 really fast. As Ron says, the birds sell themselves. I never once had to be a sales person. LOL

Ugh... You know that sickening feeling when you're walking to the barn and find eggshells on the way. And the lgd's you moved "away" from the barn last weekend were going crazy all night?
Haven't surveyed all the damage yet, still picking up chicken bodies/parts.

I knew better! But needed to get one of the lgd's spayed so moved dogs around. NEVER take good lgd's for granted. I knew better! Dangit!

Ugh... You know that sickening feeling when you're walking to the barn and find eggshells on the way. And the lgd's you moved "away" from the barn last weekend were going crazy all night?

I knew better! But needed to get one of the lgd's spayed so moved dogs around. NEVER take good lgd's for granted. I knew better! Dangit!
So sorry that happened Sheri! :(

ep.gif
OH NO!!!!!!

I'd offer you a rooster or 4 but my line is not the same as yours.
I'm sorry this happened.

Looks like we are both having bad luck...

I'd offer you a rooster or 4 but my line is not the same as yours.

I'm sorry this happened. 

Sweet thought Thanks. It looks like I lost most of my remaining grow outs but all of my breeders are fine.
It wasn't my dogs btw... I took one of mine to be spayed and had none of my own lgd dogs with the poultry. Stupid stupid stupid.

Last edited:

Keep us informed, I worry about mine at night too, my LGD is getting old and does fall down on the job but hope my coops are varmint proof.

Back
Top Bottom