The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

You are not that far from me. I have lots of roosters. Give them a few more months to mature but you could come and pick one out. I don't have that many pullets so I can't promise I'll have any available. Right now I don't.
I do have 1 roo from last year that I was keeping as a backup. But I clearly won't need him. He has frostbite but is fertile. Right now he is in with a couple of young pullets just starting to lay and a few younger pullets but the eggs I'm getting from his pen are fertile and have been even when I had lots of full size pullets with him. He came from eggs that I hatched from the Fogle hens and a Fogle rooster.
I loved Rons birds. I took them out of the breeding pen this morning. Getting 2 Nigerian goats and need that pen for them. Ill put the reds back when I can and see what happens. Might test in a month or so just to see who is the problem. Did hatch one chick today. The other egg made it to lock down but nothing.

I loved Rons birds. I took them out of the breeding pen this morning. Getting 2 Nigerian goats and need that pen for them. Ill put the reds back when I can and see what happens. Might test in a month or so just to see who is the problem. Did hatch one chick today. The other egg made it to lock down but nothing.
HOPING THINGS GET BETTER -GOOD LUCK .

I did after the last time. Didn't work.
hmm.png
I was hatching for a Dorking breeder and she was doing single mating. She was having fertility issues too. The suggestion was to separate the male to a different pen(no hens!) where he could see her by not mate her. Put them back together for two days and separate them again, repeating the cycle.

Absence make the heart fonder? It seemed to work as fertility went up with doing that.

Last edited:
Cant get any worse. lol
Yes, it could be worse...you could be getting 0%. I can't speak of your area but where I live the birds are not fertile this time of year because it is to hot. Birds I have been hatching off of all Spring went infertile recently so I just took them apart until fall. It happens every year about this time.

Matt

I was hatching for a Dorking breeder and she was doing single mating. She was having fertility issues too. The suggestion was to separate the male to a different pen(no hens!) where he could see her by not mate her. Put them back together for two days and separate them again, repeating the  cycle.

Absence make the heart fonder? It seemed to work as fertility went up with doing that.
the Rooster can be made to get more fertile by not have anything to breed then his sperm count goes up and up if this makes any sense .

Yes, it could be worse...you could be getting 0%.  I can't speak of your area but where I live the birds are not fertile this time of year because it is to hot.  Birds I have been hatching off of all Spring went infertile recently so I just took them apart until fall.  It happens every year about this time.

Matt
Matt is right about the heat rendering the roosters infertile ,the heat can affect human male the same way .

Yes, it could be worse...you could be getting 0%. I can't speak of your area but where I live the birds are not fertile this time of year because it is to hot. Birds I have been hatching off of all Spring went infertile recently so I just took them apart until fall. It happens every year about this time.

Matt
Could very well be the heat. Only in the 90's everyday and direct sun all day.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom