The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Truly beautiful. :frow It has been a long time
I still have my Reds. Haven't been showing mostly because most of the shows were cancelled due to covid. I have a lot of birds in my grow-out coops. I think this thread had slowed down a lot and a lot of the people who used to post haven't in quite a long time.

I still have my Reds. Haven't been showing mostly because most of the shows were cancelled due to covid. I have a lot of birds in my grow-out coops. I think this thread had slowed down a lot and a lot of the people who used to post haven't in quite a long time.
Like most I just moved to other things especially when they redid the site, and Sally's thread really died down. I have lost my red's mostly now. First I sold all my chicks one year, the next we got five inches of rain and some dumb hen took them out in the rain so they died, then I got a year with only one pullet and then lost my roosters. I should have incubated when I had the chance. I miss having red's as I am down to two old ladies. Most of mine now are BCM since a friend raises them. I hope to find a few eventually since I miss seeing these beautiful birds.
Good luck with your next shows. I show goats, but not chickens.

I was off for awhile too. So many new BYC members now and a lot joining every day. Now I usually go online for awhile mostly in the mornings then off to do chores. Good luck...

I realize this thread is old, but I'm hoping some knowledgeable people might still be able to help. We have been given some RIR with unknown origin and wish to breed them toward the standard. We realize they may be a ways off, but at least we could be working toward something. We have two roos right now with darker plumage, but one has very yellow feet and one has very red feet. The red footed one came out as top dog and is maturing faster. He is also a little larger. Any input or recommendation on who to keep?

Note: in the group flock pic, red foot is on the right.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1(12).jpg
    imagejpeg_1(12).jpg
    288 KB · Views: 6
  • imagejpeg_0(26).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(26).jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210910_150808.jpg
    20210910_150808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I would keep the darker one. Here is some of my males for comparison. They appear to be hatchery or more of a Production Red. Their backs should be fairly wide down to their tails and look for the more brick shape and of course the darker red. These are cockerels. One was a champion at a show. I hope it helps.
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg

This was one of my cockerels a young girl showed and he took the championship in the youths division. You will notice the brown on the front of his legs down to his tows which is also a charastic of the breed. The all have it but some are more noticeable than others.
2015-01-10 14.22.29.jpg
IMG_3455.JPG

Last edited:
I realize this thread is old, but I'm hoping some knowledgeable people might still be able to help. We have been given some RIR with unknown origin and wish to breed them toward the standard. We realize they may be a ways off, but at least we could be working toward something. We have two roos right now with darker plumage, but one has very yellow feet and one has very red feet. The red footed one came out as top dog and is maturing faster. He is also a little larger. Any input or recommendation on who to keep?

Note: in the group flock pic, red foot is on the right.
I also noticed this is your first post. :welcome :frow

I also noticed this is your first post. :welcome :frow
Thank you soo much!! For both the warm welcome and the very informative response :) The photos certainly help and your RIRs are gorgeous! I assumed our two were closer to hatchery/production, haha, but at least I can try to breed forward mindfully.

We have other breeds that are purebred.. and we're new to having chickens for breeding purposes. Do you have any tips to get into showing them in the future? I hear of quite a few who have theirs shown through 4H kiddos somehow.

4H is a good start and they teach showmanship. My suggestion would be go go to a poultry show or even observe the exhibits at fairs. A fair is a bit more flexible in their rules compared to a sanctioned poultry show. Usually breeders will bring nice sale birds to the shows to sell. There is usually an exhibitor list at the check-in table. There is a number assigned to each exhibitor and on the coop tags you'll find the number of the exhibitor and if you find a bird you like you can contact the exhibitor and possibly make arrangements to get some birds or they may have brought some sale birds which is a good start. To try to breed from scratch sort to speak is a very long process and can take several years to breed for quality birds. I started out with a quad many years ago and started my flock of Reds from them. I do not cross lines so my birds are pure. When you start crossing you can get undesirable traits. I did some experimental breeding's years ago. The backs of the birds were too narrow towards the tails. I hope I have helped you. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/poultry-show-dates.html

Back
Top Bottom