The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

They are beautiful...
love.gif

here is a better pic of them on a roost. i had my local feed store order them for me..
they are about 4 months to 5 months old right now in this picture

Are they Heritage RIR's? They look a little light in color.

not sure trying to get some one to confirm i told them when they orderd them i wanted rhode island reds and not production reds..

None of the hatcheries have the Heritage Rhode Island Red. They may have a Rhode Island Red listed, but it is not the true Heritage RIR. Below are some photos FOGELLY posted. Notice the extreme dark red and the brick shape. These are the true Heritage RIR. Don't get angry at your feed store. They did not know any better. Most likely the hatchery does not know what the true RIR is or does not care.

Compare your birds to these. The first photo was posted by flewdacoop. The others are FOGELLY. All is not lost. You will have a nice layer flock. Several Heritage RIR breeders would be happy to help you with hatching eggs or stock.

None of the hatcheries have the Heritage Rhode Island Red. They may have a Rhode Island Red listed, but it is not the true Heritage RIR. Below are some photos FOGELLY posted. Notice the extreme dark red and the brick shape. These are the true Heritage RIR. Don't get angry at your feed store. They did not know any better. Most likely the hatchery does not know what the true RIR is or does not care.

All is not lost. You will have a nice layer flock. Several Heritage RIR breeders would be happy to help you with hatching eggs or stock.

This is true. Here are some of my younsters, Heritage Rhode Island Reds, Red Sex Links, and Rhode Island Whites.

Here are some pullets that are a little older.

This rooster is a Rhode Island Red rooster, not a Heritage.

This is my Heritage boy.

Last edited:
SO DOES THAT MAKE MINE PRODUCTION REDS. OUR WHAT KIND OF RED ARE THEY..I ALMOST WANT TO CRY NOW..
hit.gif
I HAD TO WAIT TWO WEEKS TO GET THEM IN BECAUSE HE SAID ALL HE HAD WAS PRODUCTION REDS IN STOCK. SO WHAT NOW????

First, take a breath.

99% of the birds sold through hatcheries and feed stores are production strains. These hatcheries are large scale, mass breeding and mass hatching 10's of 1000's of bird per year. Shipping them at great prices, around the country. They're known for availability, healthy chicks and convenience. Quality? True to Breed? Not so much.

True bred birds almost entirely come from those who love, show and breed the various varieties. True bred birds are quite uncommon, limited in availability and don't come nearly as cheap as hatchery stock.

SO DOES THAT MAKE MINE PRODUCTION REDS. OUR WHAT KIND OF RED ARE THEY..I ALMOST WANT TO CRY NOW..:hit  I HAD TO WAIT TWO WEEKS TO GET THEM IN BECAUSE HE SAID ALL HE HAD WAS PRODUCTION REDS IN STOCK. SO WHAT NOW????

You have RIR's

It's like getting a pup from a pet store or getting one from one of the top breeders in the country. There both dogs and they may both be a poodle but they may not look or cost the same.

I waited almost 7 months for my RIR's!

Chris

I agree with the others. They are Rhode Island Reds just not Heritage Rhode Island Reds. I Have both RIR and Heritage RIR. I do keep them separated for the blood lines. The RIR's are good egg layers of nice large brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom