The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote: What line do you have? Don Nelson, Moahawk or Radamaker from Minn.

It is true dont cross strains why put yourself behind for five years then fail. It is better to get one of the top three lines then stick with them then in five to ten years if you think you need new blood get you a good bird from a person who has the same strain as you have. Makes more sense to me. Two many people have done the other way and they are no longer in chickens or Reds. Why be like them. bob

What line do you have? Don Nelson, Moahawk or Radamaker from Minn.

It is true dont cross strains why put yourself behind for five years then fail. It is better to get one of the top three lines then stick with them then in five to ten years if you think you need new blood get you a good bird from a person who has the same strain as you have. Makes more sense to me. Two many people have done the other way and they are no longer in chickens or Reds. Why be like them. bob

Oh man, I so wish I had Mohawk or Nelson lines but unfortunately the parent stock to the ones I have came from the Ryan line. I will get, some way, some how, some day, a quality line to work with. The problem I have in finding quality RIR around here is that most people are just interested in egg producers or fancy breeds.

Quote: I was not suggesting the line I have or any other line, just some options to get started with Heritage Reds. Yes I did have the Ryan line, but they have been replaced long ago. In my quest for Heirloom Reds I got to hasty and started wrong the first time It did not take long to figure it out.
It took research but I eventually got on the right path. I am very proud of my Bates line and happy to be working on preserving this line.

Looks like there should be plenty of Mohawks and Nelson chicks this coming spring within driving distance of Florida, to get you started on the enjoyment of Real Rhode Island Reds. Once you have them nothing compares.

Ron Fogle

Last edited:
I was not suggesting my line or any other line, just some options to get started with Heritage Reds. Yes I did have the Ryan line, but they have been replaced long ago. In my quest for Heirloom Reds I got to hasty and started wrong the first time It did not take long to figure it out.
It took research but I eventually got on the right path. I am very proud of my Bates line and happy to be working on preserving this line.

Looks like there should be plenty of Mohawks and Nelson chicks this coming spring within driving distance of Florida, to get you started on the enjoyment of Real Rhode Island Reds. Once you have them nothing compares.

Ron Fogle

I got hasty as well but the info that I have gotten from this thread has gotten me on the right path, for that I am most grateful, as I am sure are many other beginners.

The Ryan line does not ring a bell into my memory bank of data. I know all the top lines in the past fifty years and this one does not rate.

LIke they stated there will be folks sharing the Moahwaks and Nelson line this sping. You could get five to ten two week old started chicks and that is all you need. I started with two old hens and a pullets and three sons from one six year old hen. My first year I had 40 nice chicks the next year I had 60.

You only need a good pair or trio to get started but get good ones first that are not want a be Rhode Island Reds. So simple do your home work first, pick a good breeder and then get your little chicks. Dont ask a good breeder for eggs.

Big turn off he knows you are a back yard chicken collector when he hears from you and he will most likely not talk to you or want to help you.

Eggs shiped by the post office normaly do not hatch worth a flip.

Many of us do not have many breeders as we can not afford to keep them with feed at $18 a sack. So we keep only the top females not many and hatch the chicks and share them with beginners. If we want to be like a hatchery we can have three males and 15 to 20 females flock mate them sell you eggs at $3. each and dont care if they hatch or not.

Hope you get some some day. There are many good Reds in the South East today.

I have read on here some people being able to get RIR at the shows. We have the Lake City show coming up in January, I believe. Do you think that is a possibility I should check out? Lake City is about an hour from where I live.

Jim, there are several post on this thread made by Bob on the origins of Ricky's birds.
I will see if can find them and give you the page number.

The "Choctaw" line is what Roy Autrey calls his Reds. I have not heard much about them for awhile. Acutally before Roy started touting them I had never heard of this line. There are several people that I know that got some from him, but they no longer have them.

Roy bought some cockerels from Ricky a few years ago, because he said he had lost all of his breeders.
Also he may have got some birds from a breeder in Texas around that same time.
Roy's granddaughter did very well showing the birds he got from Ricky.

Ron

Last edited:
Ok, hello awesome HRIR breeders. Long time no talk. I've been busy working on a coop and trying to find suitible fates for my Nankin culls (still a work in progress). I haven't been hanging out much here because last I gathered my only shot at getting some birds would be the Clanton, AL show in October. Well, Oct is just around the corner and I have not been able to gather any information. Couldn't make contact with the breeder who was supposed to be attending, and really can't find any info on the show itself. Not on BYC or the local papers or internet resources. I REALLY want to get involved with working with heritage breeds, but an getting a bit discouraged. Is there any one, anywhere reasonably close to East-Central Alabama who will be culling their flock soon who would be interested in helping me out?

Back
Top Bottom