The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

There will be some Mohawks at the Lake City Show and I hope I can go as I have never been there. The Mohawks from the Illinois line and the half Florida and Illinois will be there and may have some extras for sale. This is my old line that I got from E W Reese who had them for about thirty years and he got them from Mrs. Donald Donaldson in Decatur Georgia who had them from 1912 to 1967. They are still pure and over 100 years old.

I have the Mohawk bantams which I shrunk down from these large fowl 28 years ago.

Don Nelson has a great line that is over 20 years old he is from Rhode Island a very good line.

Ricky Bates line was obtained from the St. Romain family from Louisiana they got birds from me and then crosses some Rose Comb Large fowl from Radamaker on them for what reason I dont know they crashed in looks and may have crossed something else on them I dont know. Every buddy thought they where pure mine but the mother of the son who breed them say they weren't. She sent me some eggs one time about five years ago I got one single comb and one rose comb and I killed them they where scrubs. What Mr. Fogerty got I think are a more improved version. Rickey Bates was a red bantam breeder and only had these large fowl for a few years befor he was killed in a tree accident.

The Choctaw Line never heard of them till about two or three years ago. The owner of the chicken farm bought some birds from Rickey dont know if they ever lived or not. He bought a nice bird from a good breeder in Texas and one big with it at a show and used it as a breeder. Crossing birds from Texas onto some other birds he may have will not produce a consistent gene pool.

There is a line in Minnesota by Adrian Radamaher. He has been breeding them for over 30 years and has sold hundreds and hundreds of chicks to people. I dont know one person who is a good breeder of his birds or who has won with them. He has a very good line of Rose Comb large fowl and our good friend in North Mississippi has some and look very nice.

There are a few people who have all of these birds who got chicks or eggs from one of the breeders. They are doing pretty well and will share some chicks or maybe eggs with others if they have enough birds.

That's about it. There may be a few others but these stand out in my mind. I know about every person who has had or has tried or has also fished. They come and they go. Average person lasts about three years and they give them up. They make stupid mistakes by crossing strains and not understanding how to breed for type.

Hopefully, many have read the threads on this site on the real Rhode Island Reds that we post pictures of and can learn how to get them but more than anything else try not to kill them due to poor poultry husbandry. You hope that many beginners will have two to four years of experience raising barn yard scrubs or hatchery chicken then when they get good at it will try a easy breed of rare chickens and not a breed that is the color of their house that only one in 1,000 in 20 years can master the breed.

We are trying to recruit preservationist, maybe future breeders and then maybe in a year or two a person who will show their birds at major shows. Maybe in ten years they will stick with the breed and still have them. We can only try to help so far we have done very good in my view. I am very impressed.

Keep trying, Keep learning and never never give up.

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I need to get out and take some new pictures of this years birds. I have two cockerels that to my eye just jump out at me when I'm sitting watching them. Still in that gawky teen aged stage, but are square as a brick and were also the very first two to start feathering out in the tail and wing. The pullets so far are just sorta so-so. Nothing is really jumping out at me, but they are still young too.

I'm culling only for major faults until spring to give them time to really fill out and show what they are made of. I did cull a runt pullet, a pullet that started putting out a small single comb in the center of the rose comb and several cockerels for wry tail or just bad shape. I should have 20 or so I'll carry over to spring plus my older birds.

Bob, it looks like Ricky did a very good job. I have hatched well over 100 birds from this line and have seen no major defects or Rose combs.
I know the St Romain Family may have crossed another line into them but, hopefully the mistake that the St Romains made years ago won't taint peoples perception of Ricky's line forever.
When I acquired this line I did it with an understanding that any line requires continued refinement or it will degrade. I look forward to working with them for years to come.

Ron Fogle

Last edited:
There will be some Mohawks at the Lake City Show and I hope I can go as I have never been there. The Mohawks from the Illinois line and the half Florida and Illinois will be there and may have some extras for sale. This is my old line that I got from E W Reese who had them for about thirty years and he got them from Mrs. Donald Donaldson in Decatur Georgia who had them from 1912 to 1967. They are still pure and over 100 years old.

I have the Mohawk bantams which I shrunk down from these large fowl 28 years ago.

Don Nelson has a great line that is over 20 years old he is from Rhode Island a very good line.

Ricky Bates line was obtained from the St. Romain family from Louisiana they got birds from me and then crosses some Rose Comb Large fowl from Radamaker on them for what reason I dont know they crashed in looks and may have crossed something else on them I dont know. Every buddy thought they where pure mine but the mother of the son who breed them say they weren't. She sent me some eggs one time about five years ago I got one single comb and one rose comb and I killed them they where scrubs. What Mr. Fogerty got I think are a more improved version. Rickey Bates was a red bantam breeder and only had these large fowl for a few years befor he was killed in a tree accident.

The Choctaw Line never heard of them till about two or three years ago. The owner of the chicken farm bought some birds from Rickey dont know if they ever lived or not. He bought a nice bird from a good breeder in Texas and one big with it at a show and used it as a breeder. Crossing birds from Texas onto some other birds he may have will not produce a consistent gene pool.

There is a line in Minnesota by Adrian Radamaher. He has been breeding them for over 30 years and has sold hundreds and hundreds of chicks to people. I dont know one person who is a good breeder of his birds or who has won with them. He has a very good line of Rose Comb large fowl and our good friend in North Mississippi has some and look very nice.

There are a few people who have all of these birds who got chicks or eggs from one of the breeders. They are doing pretty well and will share some chicks or maybe eggs with others if they have enough birds.

That's about it. There may be a few others but these stand out in my mind. I know about every person who has had or has tried or has also fished. They come and they go. Average person lasts about three years and they give them up. They make stupid mistakes by crossing strains and not understanding how to breed for type.

Hopefully, many have read the threads on this site on the real Rhode Island Reds that we post pictures of and can learn how to get them but more than anything else try not to kill them due to poor poultry husbandry. You hope that many beginners will have two to four years of experience raising barn yard scrubs or hatchery chicken then when they get good at it will try a easy breed of rare chickens and not a breed that is the color of their house that only one in 1,000 in 20 years can master the breed.

We are trying to recruit preservationist, maybe future breeders and then maybe in a year or two a person who will show their birds at major shows. Maybe in ten years they will stick with the breed and still have them. We can only try to help so far we have done very good in my view. I am very impressed.

Bob, it looks like Ricky did a very good job. I have hatched well over 100 birds from this line and have seen no major defects or Rose combs.
I know the St Romain Family crossed another line into them but, hopefully the mistake that the St Romains made years ago won't taint peoples perception of Ricky's line forever.
When I acquired this line I did it with an understanding that any line requires continued refinement or it will degrade. I look forward to working with them for years to come.

Ron Fogle
thumbsup.gif

I am so excited to see them, not just because of their beauty but because of their history. I can't wait until January.

I for one can honestly say that I do not think that you will not be disappointed if and when you get them. I have some juvenile Mohawk and Don Nelson lines growing out right now and I just can't say enough about them. I have just a very few of Dick Horstman's rose comb's and they look almost black from a distance. As of right now, my first group of Don Nelsons are the largest but they are a couple of months older then the others. I can't wait for these to start laying so I can hatch out a bunch of them come winter/spring. Once I get enough to supply my eggs customers, I'm hoping to replace any/all my laying stock with these reds. I do also have a few of the German New Hampshire's and other then that, I'm not planning on keeping any other breeds. I truly love these old time RIR's.
I wish you all the luck in the world with your searching and hope you find exactly what you are looking for.
Jim

Last edited:
Ok, hello awesome HRIR breeders. Long time no talk. I've been busy working on a coop and trying to find suitible fates for my Nankin culls (still a work in progress). I haven't been hanging out much here because last I gathered my only shot at getting some birds would be the Clanton, AL show in October. Well, Oct is just around the corner and I have not been able to gather any information. Couldn't make contact with the breeder who was supposed to be attending, and really can't find any info on the show itself. Not on BYC or the local papers or internet resources. I REALLY want to get involved with working with heritage breeds, but an getting a bit discouraged. Is there any one, anywhere reasonably close to East-Central Alabama who will be culling their flock soon who would be interested in helping me out?
I am going to the Clanton Show its in the second or thrid weekend of October at the Fair Grounds. I will get more details tomorrow. Clanton is between Birmingham and Montgomery, I think I can get you a nice breeding trio and bring up there. I know where two nice pullets are that are half Illinois and half Flordia with great color and very good type.

I think I can find you a male to go with them that are pure Illinois hatch.

Matt 1616 has some of the birds he posts on here. Have you contacted him yet? He is Mr. Large Fowl Reds in Alabama.

You dont need a army of birds to start a pair or a trio is all you need. There will be others who will have my old line that you can get fresh blood if you need it in five or ten years that live withing 400 miles of Clanton.

Bob

Last edited:
Ok, hello awesome HRIR breeders. Long time no talk. I've been busy working on a coop and trying to find suitible fates for my Nankin culls (still a work in progress). I haven't been hanging out much here because last I gathered my only shot at getting some birds would be the Clanton, AL show in October. Well, Oct is just around the corner and I have not been able to gather any information. Couldn't make contact with the breeder who was supposed to be attending, and really can't find any info on the show itself. Not on BYC or the local papers or internet resources. I REALLY want to get involved with working with heritage breeds, but an getting a bit discouraged. Is there any one, anywhere reasonably close to East-Central Alabama who will be culling their flock soon who would be interested in helping me out?

Mr Blosl or Matt1616 can help you with the Reds and if that is not your cup of tea then right across the AL line over in Ga. is Scott (yardfullofrocks) here on BYC he offering and matching up pairs or trios of Columbian Rocks right now, go over to the Heritage thread for more details or contact him via PM

Jeff

I am going to the Clanton Show its in the second or thrid weekend of October at the Fair Grounds. I will get more details tomorrow. Clanton is between Birmingham and Montgomery, I think I can get you a nice breeding trio and bring up there. I know where two nice pullets are that are half Illinois and half Flordia with great color and very good type.

I think I can find you a male to go with them that are pure Illinois hatch.

Matt 1616 has some of the birds he posts on here. Have you contacted him yet? He is Mr. Large Fowl Reds in Alabama.

You dont need a army of birds to start a pair or a trio is all you need. There will be others who will have my old line that you can get fresh blood if you need it in five or ten years that live withing 400 miles of Clanton.

Bob

YAY!!!!!!! Thank you for coming through for me on that info. I really do NOT want an army to start with. I got stuck ordering a batch of 25 of the Nankins because the only way to get them in my area was ordering chicks from a breeder. 25 bantam babies was nearly more than I could deal with raising, I can't imagine trying to start out with a ton of standard sized, lol. No, a trio would be absolutely fine by me. I will try to get in touch with matt1616, part of my problem was that they original info you had posted for me was buried so far back I couldn't find it in my free time. Again thanks.

Back
Top Bottom