The hidden costs of the chicken coop..!!!

When we developed our land 3 years ago, we had to have the county inspector out (then we didnt have any livestock what so ever) and they had to do a final inspection to release us from an open permit. Anyway, we had a concrete pad poured before moving the mobile home on here and the guy was not going to close the permit and come back out in December to do a final ( this was in June) because he just knew we were going to build something on that concrete slab. I told him IF we do I am sure you will be the 1st to know. NOT.

To get propane here, we have to hire someone to DIG the lines for the propane and they have to have a mechanical license.

A property appraiser came to my house and was updating the county records. He saw the chicken coop and was giving my husband a rough time about it and my DH told him that it was a chicken coop. The man started in about the structure and he would have to put it on the property record. My DH told him not to bother because it wouldn't be there the next week because we move it around which was correct. The fellow finally gave up and left and no change to our taxes.

Quote:
Anytime you build something permanent, check with your local tax office and see if they have a deferred improvement clause. We can get a four year tax deferment as a home improvement on barn/chicken house combo or a deck or porch or anything. I was a realtor when we built this HUGE wraparound porch on our house and didn't know about it until it was too late to file. Live and learn, and it NEVER hurts to ask!!!!

My fiancée and I just had this discussion earlier today. We built a 10x20 coop earlier this year, and this morning we had a custom built 10x20 shed delivered to be the new home for our dogs.

We are anxious to find out how it'll affect our taxes. Fortunately we just got a huge reduction since we are officially listed this year as "full time residents" (we have higher rates for second home owners). So hopefully the additional buildings will offset that reduction and we can call it a wash.

BTW, yes our town knows about them. I had to get permits. We also live on the main road through our tiny town of 300. Everyone knows when there is a new building. I also sit on the planning board, so I have to play by the rules, or I'll get chewed out.

tellynpeep - I hear property taxes are pretty bad over there in NH. I've heard a few VT'ers say it helps offset the fact that there is no state income tax, sales tax, and many don't pay for car insurance. My fiancée says our property taxes are still higher, so I don't know who to believe.

I have a Russian relative who told me that in Russia you only pay tax on property once....at the time of purchase.....after that you pay no taxes on the property. Sounds nice. Our property taxes, especially school taxes are eating us alive.

Quote:
Really? That is insane. Where are you in NorCal? Hope you're not in Sacramento County.

And it is especially scary what was said about using satellite pics to do appraisals and raise taxes. Guess i'm glad we ended up adding a bunch of kennels and playhouses on blocks rather than building a large permanent structure for our chicks.

Another thing to be careful of is "personal" tax on tractors. When we bought our tractor the salesman told us that if anyone ever stopped and asked questions - like nice tractor how much did you pay for it - just tell them you are borrowing it and ask that they leave your property. In our county they have people that drive around looking for farmers that are working, stop ask questions and then report to county about tractor then you get a bill for "personal tax" for the cost of the tractor. Also, if you put in a swimming pool that is not "Above" ground they will tax you on that too.

We check Google satellite maps once in a while to see if the pictures of our property are updated. Might start using camo netting over coop so it won't show up
lol.png

Never heard of paying a tax on tractors we had 4 tractors now 3 as we sold one. We didn't even have to pay a`sales tax on them. Maybe California laws are different than Florida.

Quote:
Yes, they consider it "personal property" like a ski boat. And, we paid sales tax, fortunately at the 7.25% rate at the time, its up to 8.25% state wide now. They consider an in ground swimming pool permanent and improvement and raise your taxes accordingly. I have even heard that you are suppose to get a permit to install a clothes drier. When will the craziness stop.
he.gif

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom