The Hidden Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Roosurdaddy, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Roosurdaddy

Roosurdaddy Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    So Cal
    Does anyone know? Or please direct me. I made an egg catch in my coop to catch the eggs after laying. My birds are new to laying and I was checking the drawer in the beginning for eggs, but there was never any in there. Today I was looking for eggs and just happened to look in the drawer and found 4 eggs [​IMG]!!! The question is they could have been there for 2 or three weeks. Are they safe? The drawer when closed, is dark, cool and has a little air flow thru it. The eggs. look wonderful, but I don't want anyone sick. Will floating alone tell if they are good or not? You can bet I will be opening the drawer everytime now! Thanks for any help you guys/gals can provide! [​IMG]

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

2-3 week old eggs are fine to eat, as many people don't refrigerate their eggs.
    I keep mine on the counter but DO refrigerate the eggs I intend to sell.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    We have couple of baskets full of eggs on our dining counter, we keep them there for couple of weeks but we sell and consumed them before a week is over, we tell our customers how old our eggs are. Eggs will be okay not refrigerated for over 3 wks as long as they're not washed. Most store bought eggs are over a month old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by