The Holiday brood

Portia

Songster
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
South Central PA
Here are some pictures of my broody with the chicks that she hatched out on Thanksgiving eve/Thanksgiving. Today I did the first real count when I moved the whole lot along with mama out of the nest box to give it some fresh straw & DE....so there are 6 and 4 more unhatched eggs that I'll leave there a few more days (I didn't put them all under her on the same day, so it is possible to get another chick or two).
Dad is a Salmon Favorelle and there from eggs of my SLW, BR, BA, SS and Welsummer...the sixth is a BA mix.

IMGP7289.jpg

IMGP7284.jpg

IMGP7290.jpg

IMGP7288.jpg

IMGP7292.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how their coloring develops.
I have some 12 weekers from a SLW roo and the SLW x BA mix look exactly like BAs with a rose comb, the Welsummer x SLW mix has more SLW characteristics, and then there is a SLW x SLW pullet
Here's a couple pics of the 6 12-week old chicks...make that 13 weeks, its Friday!

IMGP7264.jpg

IMGP7258.jpg

IMGP7261.jpg

Last edited:
LOVE seeing the chicks with mama. Mine hatched Thanksgiving. This was my 1st time ever hatching eggs. Here is my chick and mama

13328_jackies_adventure_12.jpg

13328_jackies_adventure_11.jpg

I am sooooo proud! My pics are gonna be all over BYC!

oh my everyone, what cuties!!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

Love those top knots on the silkies, they remind me of majorettes.
Mary, what kind of hen is that?

Mama Welsummer has moved her brood down to the floor of the coop beneath the nesting boxes so her kids can run around and everyone can eat. She's pretty weak, so I've been trying to give her plenty of selection to boost her nutrient intake. Here she is showing the kids some of the delicacies.

IMGP7323.jpg

Then she noticed me looking at her and holding up that silver flashy thing
IMGP7321.jpg

After awhile they all decided to take a nap. Notice the little feet sticking out beneath her breast
jumpy.gif

IMGP7332.jpg

A handsome picture of the proud father
IMGP7328.jpg

Back
Top Bottom