The home i am copying for my birds has a window in the coop ?

Yup mine has two!
60251_img00097-20101011-1805.jpg

Mine has five!
lol.png

Ours are hinged and swing open completely. It keeps it cooler in the summer, as well as providing light. They love looking out of the windows when they're inside, too.

I think you will get a concensus on this forum that a window is a good idea. That is probably the end of the concensus. You will get a lot of different ideas on where to put it.

To me, there are a few good reasons to have a window. You can see in there without artificial light. There will be times you are in there without the door being open. Being able to see is nice.

They will be able to see to eat, drink, find nest boxes, whatever. A big plus is the problem of them going to bed. They do not see real well in the dark. They are not totally blind in low light, but they do need a minimum level to be able to see. If it is fairly light outside and they decide to go to bed, the coop may be too dark for them to want to go in there, let alone them be able to find the roosts. Having a window to provide natural light is a big help.

Which side to put it on is a difficult question. You will find people passionate about the south side, west side, east side, or even a few that favor the north side. I have mine on the north side, not that I am passionate about that. It was the only outside wall of my coop I built so I put the window there. It works.

Some things to possibly consider.

1. Do you have a light outside that will be on all night? I'd avoid having a window that let that light in so they can get some down time in the dark.

2. I know you are in England, but I'd still consider the greenhouse effect. Will the sunshining in oveheat it? Maybe if it is a small coop and they will spend a lot of time in there during the day, but with adequate ventilation, it should cool off plenty by nighttime. On the other hand, will the sun shining in give it needed warmth. I lived in London for about a year and do not think either is a big consideration for you, but something to maybe consider. Your temperatrues are just not that extreme.

3. Some people like a bright coop. It seems more cheery to them. I think chickens prefer it a bit darker. It seems to have a soothing calming effect on them. In truth, it is probably not a critical point, more your personal preference than anything else.

4. I notice mine seem to like to roost in front of my window as opposed to further away. I'm not sure if it is because of the window or something else.

5. Maybe put it on the western side so they can have more light in the coop to go to bed by.

I'm really having trouble coming up with criteria that makes a real difference in my mind, maybe 1 and 5 with the rest not all that significant. It probably really doesn't matter where you put it as much as that you put one.

Hi Reg,
I have two windows in my coop, one on the north side for ambient light to come in and one on the East side where the sun rises. The third side which goes into the run (South side) is not a small chicken size door but a 2'X3' door that swings sideways. I keep that door open during the day and in the summer having the two windows offers nice cross ventillation. I built a perch in front the the East side window and they watch the sun rise every morning.

Can't wait to see your finished product!

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to write that Ridgerunner

How about a sky light glazed ?

I take it when you are talking window's its just a meshed over hole ? As my coop wall forms part of my outer perimeter !

These days our temperatures like everybody elses are changing. -9 to 90F Strange times !!!!!!!!!! Snow before Xmas this year, would you believe it.

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL yes I look forward to seeing it myself. What have I done !!! LOL

90 F. I remember people in London dying when the daytime highs got in the mid-80's.

I see nothing wrong with a skylight as long as you can install it so it does not leak. Just consider the greenhouse effect. On clear nights with a full moon, they will get a lot of light, but that is probably not a big deal. I personally would not worry about that. They can get a lot of moonlight from a side window too.

I have a regular household window on mine. It was left over from a remodeling project. I did put hardware cloth over the outside so I can open the window in the summer for ventilation and close it in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom