The Honey Factory

Our hive situation has been really dire this year. I won't be buying bees from the same place again. I think I'm going to go back to Hygienic Italians too.
I was glad to get the 6 frames of honey I did get, however, I have quite a few people that will be disappointed because I won't be selling any honey to them this year.
Still grateful, every year I say it's the best honey ever, this year was no different. :)
IMG_1903.JPG

IMG_1904.JPG

Got some wax cappings for crafts too. Sometimes I make chap sticks, lotion bars, and candles.
IMG_1905.JPG

I finished bottling the last of the honey. Filled another 8 12 oz. honey bears to bring the total to 100 lbs. Refilled my personal honey bears to push the total to 102 lbs.

I really hope the good hive survives the winter. If the Saskatraz don't make it on their own, I will try a different kind next year. They have not impressed me with their massive production of 4 frames of honey this year.

Did you find out why your hives aren't doing well?
1 was sold to me as a nuc and it had Nosema and a laying worker instead of a queen.
2 was sold to me as a package. It seemed like a good package they had a good temperament. For no apparent reason I could deduct, they swarmed. So I bought an Italian Queen and let them be.
Yesterday we couldn't find the Queen but the Nuc right beside the hive had about a hundred bees and a Queen? What the heck?
We moved them over to the hive and took down the nuc. I don't feel too confident that they will accept her.
I'm just like what the heck is going on.
We are going to check them in a couple weeks and see if they accepted the other Queen, if not it'll be a dead hive.
Starting all over again next year after not having to for for all those years is shaking my confidence.

Starting all over again next year after not having to for for all those years is shaking my confidence.
I hear ya! I almost gave up after being wiped out a few times in my early years. I got some encouragement from fellow beekeepers and kept attending any seminars or meetings I could along with reading all the latest research. Plus I would miss having bees to much. All beekeepers get a reality check. Im still not immune to losing a few hives overwinter, but now I can bounce back quick without having to buy bees.
The big game changer for me years ago was learning to overwinter a 5 over 5 frame nuc for each production hive and raise queens. They're my resource hives and problem solvers. With resource hives you always have extra queens and brood on hand. Every hive/nuc now goes into winter with a home raised first year queen and a low mite count. If you can, always OAV / OAD swarms, packages or broodless hives, it gives them a clean start and greatly increases their chances of survival. Dont give up.

I hear ya! I almost gave up after being wiped out a few times in my early years. I got some encouragement from fellow beekeepers and kept attending any seminars or meetings I could along with reading all the latest research. Plus I would miss having bees to much. All beekeepers get a reality check. Im still not immune to losing a few hives overwinter, but now I can bounce back quick without having to buy bees.
The big game changer for me years ago was learning to overwinter a 5 over 5 frame nuc for each production hive and raise queens. They're my resource hives and problem solvers. With resource hives you always have extra queens and brood on hand. Every hive/nuc now goes into winter with a home raised first year queen and a low mite count. If you can, always OAV / OAD swarms, packages or broodless hives, it gives them a clean start and greatly increases their chances of survival. Dont give up.
OAV? OAD?

Back
Top Bottom