The Honey Factory

Pics
Honeybee on Sweet Clover
full

Honeybee on White Clover
full

full

Ralphie I have lots of those hornets at the lake . One in my shed seems inactive . A bunch on the old cabin my brother has . Both the black and white bald faced hornet and the black and yellow . Here we have the yellow jackets that nest in the ground not above ground like MN . We have the black and white also .

Ralphie I have lots of those hornets at the lake . One in my shed seems inactive . A bunch on the old cabin my brother has . Both the black and white bald faced hornet and the black and yellow . Here we have the yellow jackets that nest in the ground not above ground like MN . We have the black and white also .
I kind of like the black and white bald face ones. The ones I've messed with are typically fairly calm and friendly other than the one time lightning hit their nest and fried their little brains... then they had to go as they were stinging anything that moved including dust covered spider webs blowing in the breeze. But once we killed all of the insane homeless ones the others were fine again.

My strong hive is bearding. They have been for a few days but they hit new level of bearding today.

Beings I like to look at them, I am going to check to make sure they have room for brood still and have not filled the frames with honey.

They have a whole super for honey, but I will check that tomorrow too.

My phone is on the fritz, I managed to take a picture but it Dux...

The pile on the landing is about 8-10 bees deep.
C25967E3-368F-4065-86C3-C63851B89638.jpeg

There are even a few hanging out the back door..

5215400E-2DBF-42CF-8BE3-F772BDB1483D.jpeg

I know the books show bigger beards, but it’s new to me.

My strong hive is bearding. They have been for a few days but they hit new level of bearding today.

Beings I like to look at them, I am going to check to make sure they have room for brood still and have not filled the frames with honey.

They have a whole super for honey, but I will check that tomorrow too.

My phone is on the fritz, I managed to take a picture but it Dux...

The pile on the landing is about 8-10 bees deep.
View attachment 2222926
There are even a few hanging out the back door..

View attachment 2222928
I know the books show bigger beards, but it’s new to me.
My hives don't do that but then they are where they have good ventilation.

My hives don't do that but then they are where they have good ventilation.
Mine have great ventilation, on top a hill, a foot off the ground with just a screen under them.

But it is ungodly hot and humid here and they are really gathering nectar right now, the milkweeds are in bloom and there are 3-6 bees on every flower.

I have blurry pictures of that too... ( feel free to cuss out iPhones now).

1049C5CD-8FF8-47A4-B383-F742A9C07ECF.jpeg
16834D93-0839-4F98-95E8-61E92B99BC48.jpeg

Mine have great ventilation, on top a hill, a foot off the ground with just a screen under them.

But it is ungodly hot and humid here and they are really gathering nectar right now, the milkweeds are in bloom and there are 3-6 bees on every flower.

View attachment 2222933View attachment 2222934
But is your hive lid laying flat on top of the inner cover? Mine isn't.

View attachment 2222933View attachment 2222934

My bees have to deal with humid nights here too...

you can prop up the back of the inner cover with something... a toothpick (edit: I meant popsicle stick... not sure a toothpick would do much) or something ... to get a bit more air flow... and that will likely allow a bit of air flow through the front and up out the back to help them enough...

or use what is called an “imirie shim”....

this is an old picture of a shim I cobbled together in the past out of 3/4” strips ...

I put three vent holes on them and let the bees close them down with propolis if they want less air flow

Normally I would have the holes on the back of the hive though... I don’t recall why I had them on the front in that picture... that is a feeder on top... so might have had to do with that... but normally I just put the shim under the inner cover

2A327519-19A4-4EB7-BA8C-6E5D0EB55298.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom