The Honey Factory

I sealed up the hive in the greenhouse in preparation to moving it outside today. The dirty little buggers crapped all over the place in the greenhouse. After that I was watering the plants and eating Gold Nugget tomatoes when I heard the phone ringing in the house.

The Post Office called to tell me that my bees were there. I picked them up already and will be hiving them once it warms up today. The sun is already shining. The low this morning was 19°F instead of the predicted 5°F. They look alive and healthy. Of course, I won't know how the queen is doing until I hive the package.

The tracking information I got last night from the USPS said the bees were in Denver and would be delivered on Friday. I am glad they got it wrong.

UPS on the other hand left the package they are delivering sit overnight in Salt Lake City even though it got there before the truck left for Casper. That package is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

It is above 40°. I put the new package of bees in their hive. This queen bee is very much alive. There is another package of bees coming via UPS tomorrow and the replacement bees will be shipped next Monday via UPS.

I did mess up and got stung once. The end of my finger is swelling and going numb except for where it was actually stung and that spot still really stings.

I did notice a sticker on the package with a slash through an airplane and the words Ground Transportation Only. I am guessing the powers that be may have passed another stupid law prohibiting air shipment of honeybees.

1619047614967.png

@R2elk this stuff really works, maybe for next time...

View attachment 2628967
@R2elk this stuff really works, maybe for next time...
Copenhagen works great. Bee or wasp sting. Last time my son had a red wasp crawl up his pants (he was 2) I grabbed a chew and I think he was just as scared of not knowing what I was doing as that thing that he couldn't see and kept stinging him. :lau He felt better shortly after and I've had great results.
This may be easier (and handier) for me than others.

I am not sure I marked a queen. It looked a lot like a worker to me. But I am going to carry my paint stick with me incase I see her again.
Here in the banana zone of the north we have lots of things in bloom, mustard, all maples, williows, dandelions and the list goes on. I am afraid my pears are going to bloom too early this year.

Back
Top Bottom