The Honey Factory

One time a couple years ago, my queen had died and I was sick with worry about having laying workers. I checked my hive every 3 days waiting for my new queen to arrive, to my surprise i saw a huge fat new queen in my hive! I read that my hive could have attracted a new queen on her mating flights, and decided to call it home instead! (Sorry to whoever lost their queen.)

One time a couple years ago, my queen had died and I was sick with worry about having laying workers. I checked my hive every 3 days waiting for my new queen to arrive, to my surprise i saw a huge fat new queen in my hive! I read that my hive could have attracted a new queen on her mating flights, and decided to call it home instead! (Sorry to whoever lost their queen.)
Amazing! I never knew that could happen.

I got stung once last year when hiving a package of bees. I accidentally squeezed one bee too hard and it rightfully retaliated.
I wasn’t even touching my bees when I got stung. I was standing 20 feet from the hive when one of the mean bees flew from the hive to me. Just to sting me.

The other one got me 250 ft from the hive. She was one of the mean bees too. She followed me that far to sting me.

The rest the time I got lucky and my suit protected me from the mean bees. Had they lived this would have been the week the mean queen bee would have been beheaded.

I wasn’t even touching my bees when I got stung. I was standing 20 feet from the hive when one of the mean bees flew from the hive to me. Just to sting me.

The other one got me 250 ft from the hive. She was one of the mean bees too. She followed me that far to sting me.

The rest the time I got lucky and my suit protected me from the mean bees. Had they lived this would have been the week the mean queen bee would have been beheaded.
Back when I had Buckfast bees, they would sting me just for walking past the hive.

This is a swarm I caught on a Russian scion, its just a piece of rag stapled on a 2x4 painted with wax and propolis. Its on a rope so you can just lower it into a hive body. Like in the video you can achieve the same thing with a frame of comb. Scions do help catch swarms but they are no guarantee, good swarm management is best. These days I don't bother because I've gotten much better at swarm control. A good thing to know is if you have a swarm on a branch, fence, or anyplace you are having trouble collecting the swarm you can place or hold a frame of open brood next to the swarm and the swarm and queen will march right on.

Attachments

• IMG_20160520_160205469.jpg
    IMG_20160520_160205469.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160520_161616752_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160520_161616752_HDR.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20160520_162625633_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160520_162625633_HDR.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 7
I have seen local virgin Queens for sale recently . About 1 hour south . So I decided to check for Queen cells in my hive . Only checked the bottom of each deep . Found some cells started . 2 or 3 had royal jelly . So in about 2 weeks those should hatch . I will check again in about 10 days to maybe make a split with a cell .

Back
Top Bottom