The Honey Factory

The kit I got is no longer available but this is really close. Of course it was substantially less expensive 30 years ago. It would have been nice to have a motorized one during the years that I had lots of frames to extract.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/easy-extractor-combo

I normally pull supers around the first week of October. I have on super pulled and waiting to be extracted. I know for a fact that there is at least another full super that could be pulled at anytime.

The kit I got is no longer available but this is really close. Of course it was substantially less expensive 30 years ago. It would have been nice to have a motorized one during the years that I had lots of frames to extract.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/easy-extractor-combo

I normally pull supers around the first week of October. I have on super pulled and waiting to be extracted. I know for a fact that there is at least another full super that could be pulled at anytime.
I was wondering how late I can wait to pull the frames.

I might be rushing it. I want to hit the spot where I get the most honey. Before they use any and before I start feeding them.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/hone...85-economy-stainless-steel-extractor-imported
1629928999958.png

This is what I have. It has really bad reviews... Mine has lasted since 2013 and I use it every year. I like it just fine, I like it more because I had spent a fortune on all my other bee stuffs so I was running out of funds.
If you have the money the one @R2elk has is nice too. It'd be what I would upgrade to sometime.
After 4-6 frames extracted I open the gate and pour the honey into the filter/storage bucket:
https://www.dadant.com/catalog/honey-harvesting/honey-processing/m01354-bottling-bucket-kit-each
1629929353240.png

I don't have my own bees but I helped a friend extract honey last fall using the one pictured from Mann Lake. It worked well, just need some muscle to spin. An old lady like myself can do it so can you. :D

I was wondering how late I can wait to pull the frames.

I might be rushing it. I want to hit the spot where I get the most honey. Before they use any and before I start feeding them.
I think it is best to pull them before it gets too cold. Wait too late and it won't extract because it turns to sugar.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/hone...85-economy-stainless-steel-extractor-imported
View attachment 2811310
This is what I have. It has really bad reviews... Mine has lasted since 2013 and I use it every year. I like it just fine, I like it more because I had spent a fortune on all my other bee stuffs so I was running out of funds.
I have that one! I used it for years and cranked the heck out of it and it looks and works as good as the day I got it. Its made by SAF Natura. The only difference is the one I have has the extra detachable tank and strainer on the bottom which works out very well. If you ever need parts for it Blue Sky Bee Supply carries new gears and parts. Its a very good tangential extractor, I just outgrew it. SAF still makes good extractors. Years ago I upgraded to the Maxant 1400 radial extractor and the thing is a beast. Its like old farm equipment that never goes bad. I paid about $1300 and now its up to $1800!
If I was looking to buy an extractor today I would look into the Lyson extractors, many of the smaller models you can add a motor later. The larger Lyson extractor prices are lower than the Maxant and I haven't heard anything bad about them. But you cant go wrong with Maxant.
I try to pull supers and extract everything on labor day weekend. It gives me enough time to treat for mites or feed if I have to. If I dont get to all of them, no big deal, you can leave the supers on for the winter and extract them in the Spring. Not all honey crystalizes and the bees will happily clean up any that is left in the frames.

Checked my beehives . Not much done in August . Mean hive is doomed . Could not find the queen . They got my ankles . If I fail to find the queen I will just wait until a very cold winter day to open them up and let them die .

Checked my beehives . Not much done in August . Mean hive is doomed . Could not find the queen . They got my ankles . If I fail to find the queen I will just wait until a very cold winter day to open them up and let them die .
No need to find the queen, if you see eggs and young larva they're queen right. If not the hive could be queen less and that may be the reason they are so defensive. This time of year some hives are very defensive. Smoking the entrance and inner cover 5 minutes before you inspect sometimes helps calm them. With low or no nectar flow they have to protect what's going to get them through the winter. Just some options. If they are queen less paper combine them with another hive or if they are queen right leave them alone and split or requeen in the spring. More bees, more honey.

Thought I would share the results of my foundation less experiment . I got the ideas off youtube . I turned the top bar wedge and nailed it in place . I them used fishing line instead of wire for strength - support . I put these between frames with foundation . Bees drew out nice straight comb . Held up well in the extractor .

Back
Top Bottom