The Honey Factory

I haven't seen any this year, but I usually see a bumblebee mimic robber fly eating a bee in my apiary once or twice in the summer. They eat very few bees and dont have any impact on colony population. I think their life cycle ends about July. I did get a photo of one, they're tough looking. I like them.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.JPG
    IMG_1456.JPG
    593.6 KB · Views: 6
I haven't seen any this year, but I usually see a bumblebee mimic robber fly eating a bee in my apiary once or twice in the summer. They eat very few bees and dont have any impact on colony population. I think their life cycle ends about July. I did get a photo of one, they're tough looking. I like them.
I saw a totally normal one on the front porch yesterday.

Damn crop duster plane zooming 5000 times over our home and property. It's peak time for honeybees to be out and we are registered on the bee registry for no-fly overs between 10-6.
As usual, don't expect people to follow the rules when no one is actually enforcing it.

Last edited:
Worked bees today.
Lang hive, slow Carnis. We saw the queen, eggs, larva, capped brood.
Long hive, Georgia Italians. We didn't see queen or eggs. Just capped brood. They have a ton of room, but they seem to not be able to figure the long hive out. They keep staying at the east end. They probably swarmed. Saw some queen caps that looked like they were dismantling.
I put some empty frames on the outsides and in between the honey and brood frames.
I can see that there isn't going to be any honey for me this year, but I figured that.

I returned the extracted supers to the hives ( 3 ) and foundation in a super for the carni hive . I was short 5 the other day . So they will be good until I return . I actually cut down 5 deep foundation on a paper cutter . I did not want to drive to get more . Only 30 cents more per sheet for deep .

So how is your queen less hive ? Requeened from queen cells ?
I saw her a few weeks ago. She is doing great.

Or was it’s time to go into the hive again. I also gave some brood to a neighbor that had lost her queen. She had a mess. The workers were piling honey comb everywhere in no order.

She had no brood at all. I have to check and see if hers made a queen.

Back
Top Bottom