The Horse

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Master S.M.C, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I know horses are great to ride and are strong mover, but i never came to find out there purpose on the farm. What do you guys think?

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh my, they can pull plows, pull wagons, move food and supplies, fertilize your garden, and the list goes on and on.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

beasts of burden. Transportation. I know a woman in the Methow Valley that actually plows & farms with a team of Percherons. It's pretty awesome and with the price of fuel last year, it was cheaper to use horses than a tractor!

4. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Master S.M.C :

I know horses are great to ride and are strong mover, but i never came to find out there purpose on the farm. What do you guys think?

Before the industrial revolution horses were used to plow the fields, move produce, clear the land, transport people from place to place.
    Overseers (sp) rode all day to make sure work was being done. Cowboys rode, and in some places still ride to make sure that the fences and cattle, sheep and such are safe and where they are supposed to be.

They did more than just "work on farms"
    They helped deliver the mail. Helped move Americans west ward. Fought in wars. Hauled cannons. Hauled ambulance vans and fire "trucks"
    In cities they were the "taxi's" There were stagecoach runs North and South and East and West.

Many of the great Standardbred great grand sires were "work horses" by definition and were raced on the weekends. Making the breed what they are today. Hard working and hard hoofed horses. Many of the great American Thoroughbred grand sires and dams, were saddle horses and were raced on the weekends as well.

IMHO No other animal has done so much or been given so little true respect in return.​

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I live in the city now, but growing up we raised all our food...went for the store for salt. Traded eggs, milk, veggies, fryers, whatever for the rest. We used horses to go bring up the milk cows at night, gather the cattle for loading, cutting and doctoring. Horses were also a big social thing for a lot of the people in my community - we rode trail on the weekends, went to ropings or pennings, jumped on the horse to ride over to say hi to the neighbors. We plowed with tractors, but horses are useful for a lot even now-days.

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

When I was a kid we still used the horses to check fences, bring in the cattle, and of course pleasure riding. Now I have drafts and maybe one day, I'll get them trained to pull a wagon for me.

7. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    I own three horses and all are used for riding but they are like dogs. VERY SPOLIED! They love being loved on and payed attention to. They can also(sometimes) be watch guards for livestock. But that all depends on the horse/pony. As I was growing up I had to pay for my horses which taught me responsiblities in taking care of a very large animal and made me very aware of how I use my money. Oh yeah and the fertilizer is great my neighbor comes over to get some for her garden!

8. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I know what you mean. Nowdays you have to find them a job to do around the farm. All the other "farm animals" still have a place on the country farm. My mules are my only "farm animals" that are truly pets. The only job they have is a pleasurable ride in the hills. But hey, whats a farm without an equine. I love them.

9. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I still like to check fences on horse back. I know the gulf carts and Polaris of the world is fast replacing that (and I even own one), but there is something about getting into tight places to see a fence that can't be done on wheels.

And of course to round of and work cattle. Nothing better than chasing the neighbors stray calves out of my field after they tore up fence!

In our neck of the woods here the kids that live in town who own horses have been known to go through the local drive in for lunch on horse back. LOL Years ago I had a young kid break a horse for me because of an injury I had and didn't have the ability to. That horse was so bomb proof in just 60 days. He rode him all over town and found out he loved orange drink from the drive thru.

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:And you don't have to worry about that horse running out of gas and having to walk back home over 40 acres of newly plowed field.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by