The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
And you just know they appreciate your efforts (at least I like to think they do :))!

Oh I know they do appreciate all I do. They look in the windows when it gets too crowded at the feeders or the feeders are empty, they follow me around the yard too, very fun little birds! I look forward to them every spring and am sorry to see them go in the fall. :)

I have to say that it's interesting when you change their feeders and take care of them/observe daily. You notice alot about behavior and certain birds. I have always been very interested in animal behavior and photography combined, so sitting outside in the early morning or late evening provides many chances to watch them.

We have four feeders at the moment-
1.) the crape myrtle tree
2.) the oak tree
3.) by the workshop
4.) and by the porch

#1 has a dominant, adult male who is very sociable, and loves to sit in the trees above you.
#2 has an adult female who enjoys hiding higher up and waiting for others to come by so she can dive-bomb them
#3 is a very very shy adult male who is hard to get photos of- he prefers to hide where you can't see him, but he comes out when its time to clean the feeders and hovers around wondering where it is
#4 is a juvenile male that is very sociable as well- he likes to fly up to me and often lets me sit right near the feeder while he feeds. This little booger protects the feeder fiercely, and he was having an absolute fit since today was feeder clean day. It's a quick process, but he sat on the porch rail in protest and refused the red cup of sugar water I placed out temporarily!

(P.S. A quick tip! Our Dollar Tree has some cheap, plastic feeders for sale right now. Check your local store for some small, back-up feeders!)

Only photos of two of them on hand

This is #1, the male in the Crape Myrtle Tree. He frequents a cheaper plastic feeder we picked up at Walmart.
hummingbird1.png

And my spoiled #4, the young male at our Best-1 feeder.
hummingbird2.png

I have to say that it's interesting when you change their feeders and take care of them/observe daily. You notice alot about behavior and certain birds. I have always been very interested in animal behavior and photography combined, so sitting outside in the early morning or late evening provides many chances to watch them.

We have four feeders at the moment-
1.) the crape myrtle tree
2.) the oak tree
3.) by the workshop
4.) and by the porch

#1 has a dominant, adult male who is very sociable, and loves to sit in the trees above you.
#2 has an adult female who enjoys hiding higher up and waiting for others to come by so she can dive-bomb them
#3 is a very very shy adult male who is hard to get photos of- he prefers to hide where you can't see him, but he comes out when its time to clean the feeders and hovers around wondering where it is
#4 is a juvenile male that is very sociable as well- he likes to fly up to me and often lets me sit right near the feeder while he feeds. This little booger protects the feeder fiercely, and he was having an absolute fit since today was feeder clean day. It's a quick process, but he sat on the porch rail in protest and refused the red cup of sugar water I placed out temporarily!

(P.S. A quick tip! Our Dollar Tree has some cheap, plastic feeders for sale right now. Check your local store for some small, back-up feeders!)

Only photos of two of them on hand

This is #1, the male in the Crape Myrtle Tree. He frequents a cheaper plastic feeder we picked up at Walmart.
View attachment 1479815

And my spoiled #4, the young male at our Best-1 feeder.
View attachment 1479816

Beautiful pictures! Yes, each of them definitely has their own personality. That's the fun thing about feeding wild birds and interacting with them, there is SO much to learn, we can become professional birders in our own yards! :) Thanks for sharing!!

What great photos! I have had a few “regulars” here in past years too, and you’re both right - they have distinct personalities. My favorite is my secretive little Black Chinned. Only catch glimpses of him, so I’ve never been able to get a photo of him. He’s always the last to leave, though. One particularly mild year he was still here long after the others had gone so I left “his” feeder up. Latest I saw ever him that year was in November!

And - drum roll please - we finally had a little female Rufous come home last night, and she was back this morning. Yayyyy!

Back
Top Bottom