The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
A few more thumbnails of the girls at the feeder today (female Ruby-Throats). Not the best quality but they were back and forth with eachother the whole time so hard to get photos (even though they're arguing with 5 other feeders out)

DSCN5649.JPG DSCN5651.JPG DSCN5655.JPG DSCN5659.JPG

Hi, everyone! Happy to have found this thread. I just love hummers, My mom used to feed them up at the cabin when I was a kid, and I have continued the tradition ever since at our house all summer long. I don't have any pics, but do have a fun experience to share. About a month ago, hubs was installing a new door in our LR and had the old door taken out. I had just come home from work so me and hubs were sitting down in our recliners, talking for a few minutes, when a cute hummer boldly flew into our LR. It flew right between our chairs and hovered above us for a few minutes, then seemed to realize it was out of its element, and flew back outside. LOL. I was just glad our cat wasn't around to harass the hummer!

@chickmom3941 - A big welcome to you! So happy to have you, and love the story you shared. I was in the little shop outbuilding about three years back when a hummer flew in and got right in my face in a similar fashion (but he was telling me it was time to put feeders out, as they were just migrating in lol). It's so interesting to see how they interact with people and eachother; they seem so inquisitive.

Well we had to shop today at the hometown dollar store and it turned into a rescue mission on a hummingbird stuck flying between the two sets of sliding doors. I asked employees if they had a net and about that time another lady grabbed a pool noodle and we both had pool noodles gently herding the little gal. I tried to get her to sit on it, but eventually she landed in the window and a tall gentleman grabbed it and released outside. Nothing says crazy hummingbird lady like dropping your shopping trip and helping another lady with a pool noodle to try and save a hummer. :D I remember how they used to get trapped in the barn growing up and I didn't want to see the poor thing stay there.

Don't forget - tomorrow September 5th is Hummingbird Day!

West Texas Hummingbird Cam is live- Cornell University/Perky Pet:
I missed it - had no idea there even was a hummingbird day! I'm kind of surprised to still see hummers at our feeders. It's Sept. 8th, and they usually leave MN by around the first of Sept. They're still here, even though we are having an unusual cold snap this week. They are really hitting the feeders hard - probably trying to add a little fat before their long journey down south.

Back
Top Bottom