The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I am addicted to these birds, I have 15 so far. Maybe there is a "Orpingtons anonymous" somewhere. I really want some partridge orps :D-
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Ok... I don't understand genetics at all
1f615.png

I currently have a pen with blue and splash Orpington hens covered by a jubilee Rooster. I'm getting a lot of blue and some black chicks. What would you call the chicks? Are they still considered blue, back. If I breed the chicks when they grow up...what will happen... I'm clueless about this. Sorry if this is a lame question, I was just curious.
I do have another breeding pen with only jubilees in it.. Just wanted to keep a back up jubilee rooster, so I thought I would throw him in a pen with blue and splash...thanks in advance if anyone can help..
1f607.png

I am pretty sure you have to breed the half jubilee offspring together- or to another jubilee to get any jubilee offspring. I am no expert on colors but I think you may be able to get some blue jubilee chicks that way- eventually. Chicken genetics are more complicated than I can grasp right now.

I am pretty sure you have to breed the half jubilee offspring together- or to another jubilee to get any jubilee offspring. I am no expert on colors but I think you may be able to get some blue jubilee chicks that way- eventually. Chicken genetics are more complicated than I can grasp right now.

Ok... I don't understand genetics at all
1f615.png

I currently have a pen with blue and splash Orpington hens covered by a jubilee Rooster. I'm getting a lot of blue and some black chicks. What would you call the chicks? Are they still considered blue, back. If I breed the chicks when they grow up...what will happen... I'm clueless about this. Sorry if this is a lame question, I was just curious.
I do have another breeding pen with only jubilees in it.. Just wanted to keep a back up jubilee rooster, so I thought I would throw him in a pen with blue and splash...thanks in advance if anyone can help..
1f607.png

Yes, this is true.
185770_331899666923458_1420677288_n.jpg

I do this with my jubilee's it give's me better color and they are alot bigger than the original's
This is a young pullet about 8 weeks old you can see the jubilee genetic's in the feathering.

400111_331900463590045_1497428463_n.jpg

They will tend to look more jubilee as they mature.

64542_331900896923335_1472343027_n.jpg

I was trying to get a good picture of the one in the back in the middle.It is a blue jubilee split.
you can see some of the mahogany on the chest.
299069_331901893589902_109117466_n.jpg

This youngster is the result of a split hen and a split roos
580634_331902590256499_254304423_n.jpg

This is daddy.
541020_331900350256723_692447240_n.jpg

226600_331900566923368_646826568_n.jpg

734320_331901356923289_633844383_n.jpg

sorry this youngster did not like the camera

13630_331901823589909_1435773121_n.jpg

542166_331901946923230_1510438356_n.jpg

as you can see in comparison they are almost as large as the 20 lb turkey.
If you ever go to an apa show you will see a big difference in birds that are bred for the show ring and birds that
are just eye candy.we cull any hens that do not weigh at least 10 lbs and 12 for the roosters. this jubilee rooster is 15lbs and the other roo running with them is 16lbs. the imported jubilees we got originally where only 8-10 lbs.
blueJubileePullet2.jpg
this is a blue jubilee
courtesy of kieths orps.same as the standard just the black is all diluted to blue.
blueJubileePullet1.jpg

Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
Your birds lack good type, is this why you outcrossed to BBS?

Do you not care to respond to my previous response to your post?

Your birds lack good type, is this why you outcrossed to BBS?

Do you not care to respond to my previous response to your post?

our jubilees came from,greenfire,sacre.They are the same type as everyone else,they just do not have the size of the bbs blood lines i have .and did in my opinion look a little more on the cochin side. As far as genetics go i am not a genetic expert just a country boy that was born on a farm and been taught how to breed chickens,from my father grandfather and great grandfather,It comes to me like riding a bike i have been doing it from knee high to a grass hopper. All i am saying is i have seen the what you call a diamond jubilee happen over and over in alot of different variety's of mille fluer patterned birds they always tend to get lighter several generations down the road and i was shown that to correct the problem you cross them into blacks,and continue proper line breeding. Its always worked for correcting the issue From as far back as i can remember and the last 26 years i have been breeding.I never really thought about trying to be scientific about it nor do i care to.I raise my birds for my pleasure i Do not make money off them,I may sell eggs and chicks sometimes but that goes into the cost of feeding them,showing,npip testing ect.I have birds i have been offered thousand of dollars for breeding pairs of birds that me and my dad created together and i will not sell them,they are a way of life for me and part of my history and roots that make me who i am.
Greg

As far as I can determine and I may be corrected but a jubilee is basically a mille fluer pattern on an orpington. I have a project in the works that started with a blue english orpington over a speckled sussex hen. Now according to the color chart 25% of the F2's will be mille fluer pattern and in a few generations I will have jubilee orpingtons especially since outbreeding the sussex will be relatively easy. If I am missing anything feel free to tell me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom