The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
Just joined the world of Jubilee!

I hatched two chicks on April 5. Feather sexing indicated a pullet and a cockerel so keeping my fingers crossed on that. Have another chick due to hatch in the next couple of days and set 10 eggs in the incubator tonight.

Just joined the world of Jubilee!

I hatched two chicks on April 5. Feather sexing indicated a pullet and a cockerel so keeping my fingers crossed on that. Have another chick due to hatch in the next couple of days and set 10 eggs in the incubator tonight.

My sister and I just unexpectedly ended up with this breed. So please
bow.gif
share how you feather sex them. Thank you for your help.

Are they growing out together? If so, and they get along now, possibly. We had brothers in a pen full of ladies before and they got along, they knocked each other off the hens a lot tho, but never fought.

Yes they'll be growing out together. I've just heard of they're temperament being great, hoping I could keep them together.
My Bresse boys were together, but the dominant one had enough of the other so I took him out.
Hoping this breed will co-habitate better

Also, at what age is it possible to start telling the sex of this breed? I thought I heard because they're such fluff balls , that it can be hard to tell

I'm so excited to have Jubilee Orpington chicks from Heirloom Orpingtons. I never thought I would be able to get some of these beauties. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

My sister and I just unexpectedly ended up with this breed. So please
bow.gif
share how you feather sex them. Thank you for your help.

There are a number of videos on U-Tube that can help. Just do a search on feather sexing. It is better to watch a video of how it is done than to explain.
smile.png

There are a number of videos on U-Tube that can help.  Just do a search on feather sexing.  It is better to watch a video of how it is done than to explain. :)
Orpingtons can be feather sexed? I'm trying to understand what breeds can be sexed this way! As far as I understand they have to be bred for the feather sex trait?

Orpingtons can be feather sexed? I'm trying to understand what breeds can be sexed this way! As far as I understand they have to be bred for the feather sex trait?

Well, I certainly hope they can be feather sexed. It was apparent to me when they were day old chicks that the feathers in each wing were different. In one, all the coverts were even with the primaries and in the other they alternated in length.

Last edited:
Well, I certainly hope they can be feather sexed.  It was apparent to me when they were day old chicks that the feathers in each wing were different.  In one, all the coverts were even with the primaries and in the other they alternated in length.
All I know for sure is the jubilees that I have are built like bricks! They are so solid and mellow, they remind me of a Labrador! I have 4-6 week olds and 3 have feathered in real fast and one looks like a dinasour still, hoping for three pullets and one roo

Two of our seven chicks have stripes down their backs. Why? Is this normal? Desirable? Undesirable? Also is anyone working on getting this color recognized in this country? If so how is it going?

Back
Top Bottom