The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I can relate to this.  Hatching jubilees from shipped eggs has not been good.  My first hatch resulted in 2/8 but thankfully I got a pullet and a cockerel - both beautiful birds.  The second hatch only got 1/10 and the third hatch got 0/10  - both egg shipments came from same breeder which I will obviously not use again.  One more egg shipment comes in to day from the first breeder in which I had two hatch so I will be hoping for better.

Not the best scenario but at least you have 1 pair. I can relate.
I've heard orpingtons have fertility issues. Is it all orpingtons or just the jubilees? Is anyone else having slim odds at their JO hatches?

Not the best scenario but at least you have 1 pair. I can relate.
I've heard orpingtons have fertility issues. Is it all orpingtons or just the jubilees? Is anyone else having slim odds at their JO hatches?

The issue with the English as I understand (and yet to experience since I am to new to English orpingtons) is the overly fluffy butts. The fluffy butt problem applies to both males and females. I understand that some breeders trim the feathers around the vents of both males and females to improve the probability of successful fertilization. Obviously, trimmed butt feathers is a No-No for showing.

With as many clears that presented from the eggs that I purchased from that one breeder, 4/8 clears in the first batch and 7/10 clears in the second batch, I think it is hard to blame the post office for this kind of problem. Certainly rough shipping can affect development, but really, 7/10 clears? So my suspicion is some fertility problem with that stock. It was really too bad because I liked the looks of the parents and they were Marc Sacre lines. My earlier hatch was a Greenfire-Marc Sacre lines combination. So I just have to go with what I have.

This last batch just hit one week of incubation. I received 14 eggs of which two were cracked and have since developed blood rings. Of the remaining 12 eggs, 3 are clears and four more have blood ringed. One has a living embryo but a broad blood ring is developing under it so this one will most likely not make it. The other six are developing fine. Certainly rough Post Office treatment.

Hello BYCers! These are my first Jubilee Orpingtons sourced from a local breeder who originally got them from Greenfire Farms. I purchased them at 2 weeks old and they are now 6.5 weeks old. One apparently is a runt?? I did not know this existed in the chicken world but he/she has been significantly smaller than the other two from about 3 weeks onward, although otherwise seems healthy and active. He/she was also much slower to develop feathers although has somewhat caught up at this point. Would love advice as to whether you feel they are pullets or roos. I have my guesses but am really hoping the runt is a hen. Also, if you have feedback as to whether they may be good for breeding (obviously not the runt) would welcome that as well. Initially was planning to return roos to the breeder but am considering otherwise now that I have learned more about the Jubilee Orpington. Many thanks!!

Baby #1 - The Runt

Babies #2 & #1

Babies #1, #2 & #3

Babies #2, #1, and #3 (going up the stairs)

Well just finished our newest Jubilee run, we are using one of our original GFF rooster over 4 new hens. Fingers crossed for gorgeous chicks. That will make us 2 pens. Our first pen is a mix of GFF and Fancy chuck..

Beautiful birds to see here. Makes me want to share some of my pics!

quote name="briansdogs" url="/t/582401/the-imported-english-jubilee-orpington-thread/480#post_13646017"]Beautiful birds to see here. Makes me want to share some of my pics!
[/quote]
Pretty!

Hello BYCers! These are my first Jubilee Orpingtons sourced from a local breeder who originally got them from Greenfire Farms. I purchased them at 2 weeks old and they are now 6.5 weeks old. One apparently is a runt?? I did not know this existed in the chicken world but he/she has been significantly smaller than the other two from about 3 weeks onward, although otherwise seems healthy and active. He/she was also much slower to develop feathers although has somewhat caught up at this point. Would love advice as to whether you feel they are pullets or roos. I have my guesses but am really hoping the runt is a hen. Also, if you have feedback as to whether they may be good for breeding (obviously not the runt) would welcome that as well. Initially was planning to return roos to the breeder but am considering otherwise now that I have learned more about the Jubilee Orpington. Many thanks!!

Baby #1 - The Runt

Babies #2 & #1

Babies #1, #2 & #3

Babies #2, #1, and #3 (going up the stairs)
If you need an unrelated rooster to go with your pullets I have some very nice mahogany based cockerals available. I might have one diamond jubilee cockeral as well.

Thanks for letting me know. I will keep that in mind when I figure out what I have. I hadn't planned to keep the roosters they are supposed to go back to the breeder, but I am having second thoughts about possibly raising chicks if I end up with a nice hen.

One of our newest additions (waiting for the other to get a few more feathers before he/she makes a debut!! Can't wait to see this chick feather out fully.

Any guesses on gender? I'm sincerely hoping its a pullet. The comb is does not have pink/red coloring and the tail is pretty developed already.

Back
Top Bottom