The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
@dutchbunny83 I have some Jubilee cockerels a bit older than yours (hatched in mid-March). Yours looks pretty nice but for his base color, which is more of a brick red than a dark mahogany. Sometimes that changes with age, and sometimes it doesn't. I have one pullet that has always been more brick red (and I probably will just keep her as a very expensive part of our eggs-for-consumption flock), while my other pullets purchased elsewhere are darker red. It's a bigger deal with the cockerels/roos. I raised four, sold one, and need to sell another. The last one I have for sale used to be too "black," but that black somehow morphed into a gorgeous deep mahogany. They mature so slowly that you don't know what you'll get until you're there. If you keep this guy, just be sure you get pullets that have better color. Pullets don't really get mahogany in my opinion, but some are definitely darker red than others, and they generally have a lot more white when mature than the roos do. Only one of my guys has crowed, and only one time (I saw him). I have a more dominant lavender roo and I think he is keeping the rest from crowing, which is great as far as I'm concerned! I also use "no crow" (really "crow less") collars, which have worked beautifully. Our lav roo hardly ever even bothers to crow any more, so right now, I have five older cockerels and none crow. Peace in the neighborhood!

Thank you for your feedback.
I have Lavender and Black Orps, but this is my first Jubilee so with so many different looking Jubilee pics out there I didn't really know which was right.

I don't have anyone to breed him to, and at the price of eggs I doubt I will buy more to try for hens. As long as he's quiet, he's pretty to look at.

I live in the city in NC so not much of a market for roosters and I'd have to sell him without a hen. What do you think a fair price would be to ask for him (I won't send to auction, even though they bring in more money)?

If he becomes a problem I didn't know if he'd be worth trying to sell, or just a very expensive chicken dinner?

My babies are getting such pretty colors in.
I think i have 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.

One of the cockerels

FOR SALE!

7 month old 100% English Jubilee Orpington cockerel. Nice manners, doesn't crow (yet), but knows how to mount the ladies.
big_smile.png

He is too large to ship, so he would need to be picked up. I am near Indianapolis. NPIP certified farm. Cockerel tested PT negative in June, and was vaccinated against Marek's and coccidiosis by his breeder.

PM me if interested. Asking $25.

My girls are getting close to pol. I have 3 girls and keeping 1 boy.
What's the thoughts on trimming rear ends? Never bred orps before. Wondering if I really have to do trimming.
I am goingn to post pics of the 3 boys I have to choose from soon for input.

We have never had to trim one yet on our Orps but I am not much on trimming fluff. We have had to clean up our Coronations twice but it was more for messy than to fluffy. I like to breed birds that I don't have to trim but if I have to I will. Once you invest that much money you have to make it work.
lau.gif

Once you invest that much money you have to make it work.
lau.gif
Right! I am investing in Jubilees in the Spring, you have better believe I will be triming them. I was told that many of the fertility issues are due to all of that fluff.

Off topic, does any one know why Orpington eggs have such a low hatch rate for shipped birds? I had a great development with some Ameraucanas I had shipped but I just had some Lav Orps and I had low fertility (7 out of 9 fertile) and very little development from the remaining eggs (only 2 made lockdown and those I wasn't sure on). 0% hatch.
sad.png
I know it wasn't my incubating because I set some control eggs of my own, and had 90% hatch!

Right!  I am investing in Jubilees in the Spring, you have better believe I will be triming them.  I was told that many of the fertility issues are due to all of that fluff.

Off topic, does any one know why Orpington eggs have such a low hatch rate for shipped birds?  I had a great development with some Ameraucanas I had shipped but I just had some Lav Orps and I had low fertility (7 out of 9 fertile) and very little development from the remaining eggs (only 2 made lockdown and those I wasn't sure on).  0% hatch. :(   I know it wasn't my incubating because I set some control eggs of my own, and had 90% hatch!

That may have just been how they were handled by the PO. I ordered Jubilees in the spring and had 3 of 6 hatch. Mail order is such a gamble.

On fluff trimming...absolutely. My Jubilees are going on 32 weeks. I'm not waiting that long for an egg and then taking a chance on it being fertile. I've read to trim above the hens' vents and below the roosters'. I cannot wait to hatch out some of my own. I now understand why the eggs/chicks are so costly. The time and effort to get a chick is worth a little more $$!

If someone is interested in a 18 week old quality Jubilee Trio and does not want to wait for Spring, PM me. I have had them in a separate coop which is in my driveway so I have to eliminate the coop for winter and they are too big to integrate with the rest of my flock in the main coop.

I am NPIP in Illinois and can ship to states that require Pullorum testing only.

Kindly PM for pics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom