The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

[/IMG]
I got two Jubilee Orpington chicks at a day old on May 15th. This one is a bit larger than the other and seems to be trying to mount my laying silkies the last couple of days. I thought it was a hen! No sign of comb or waggle at four months old but it is a bit bigger in stature and it's legs thicker. Do I have a Roo or a dominant hen trying to make her presence known in my pecking order?

[/IMG]
I got two Jubilee Orpington chicks at a day old on May 15th. This one is a bit larger than the other and seems to be trying to mount my laying silkies the last couple of days. I thought it was a hen! No sign of comb or waggle at four months old but it is a bit bigger in stature and it's legs thicker. Do I have a Roo or a dominant hen trying to make her presence known in my pecking order?

[/IMG]

Looks like a hen but I would need to see its back down by its tail feathers to be sure. Just a suggestion and lots of people have had success mixing them but my silkies stay separated from my other chickens. They are easy targets and always at the bottom of the pecking order. Jubilee's are dual purpose so get pretty big.ay not be a good fit. :(

Looks like a hen but I would need to see its back down by its tail feathers to be sure. Just a suggestion and lots of people have had success mixing them but my silkies stay separated from my other chickens. They are easy targets and always at the bottom of the pecking order. Jubilee's are dual purpose so get pretty big.ay not be a good fit. :(

I could not get this photo to post with my original post for some reason. I put a pair of Jubilees, two pair of Ameracaunas and a pair of Favacauna in with 4 adult silkies when they were little teeny babies in the hopes they could be together and rhe funny thing is, in their coop they are fine. It has only been the last week or so that this little Jubilee has gotten naughty in the yard. Of course the coop is 12' by 20' and the pen is 20' by 20' so everyone has plenty of room. They are only in their pen at dusk and their coop overnight. They are 100% pasture raised the rest of the time.

Last edited:
I have someone that has offered a Jubilee Orpington and a Black Orpington. The Jubilee is a juvenile and she is asking about $60.....does this price sound right or on the high side? thanks!!!

I have someone that has offered a Jubilee Orpington and a Black Orpington.  The Jubilee is a juvenile and she is asking about $60.....does this price sound right or on the high side?  thanks!!!

Sounds cheap to me. I have a breeding pair I'm selling for 100 dollars. A local breeder in our area sells his hens for about 100 dollars a hen and about 30 dollars a chick.

I have someone that has offered a Jubilee Orpington and a Black Orpington. The Jubilee is a juvenile and she is asking about $60.....does this price sound right or on the high side? thanks!!!
It sounds cheap to me too. Most breeders charge around $30-$40 for straight run chicks. Heck, Meyer Hatchery charges $49 for a day old Jubilee pullet.

Back
Top Bottom