The Imported English Jubilee Orpington Thread

Pics
I had a question about the 2 different colors in the Jubilee. If you cross a Diamond Jubilee with a Jubilee will you get some of each color?

I had a question about the 2 different colors in the Jubilee. If you cross a Diamond Jubilee with a Jubilee will you get some of each color?

Technically yes, but the Diamond Jubilees will not be apparent in the first generation cross of a Jubilee X Diamond Jubilee.

I am wondering if the DJ has buff in it?

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe Diamond Jubilees genetically to be Golden Mille Fleur. I don't know what genes make up Golden Mille Fleur (Mottling for one) but I'm assuming Buff plays a role somewhere too? You should PM a few of the genetic gurus Renie to find out for sure.

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I believe Diamond Jubilees genetically to be Golden Mille Fleur. I don't know what genes make up Golden Mille Fleur (Mottling for one) but I'm assuming Buff plays a role somewhere too? You should PM a few of the genetic gurus Renie to find out for sure.

well goodness Jeremy... here I thinking you are our genetic guru :)

Last edited:
well goodness Jeremy... here I thinking you are out genetic guru :)

Thank you Renie, but a guru... not quite.
lol.png

I have a basic understanding of genetics, especially of the colors I tend to favor. But there is so much that I don't know.

You could reach out to Henk69 (creator of the Chicken Calculator), nicalandia, RAREROO, Chris09 or tadkerson. They could probably give you a more definite answer.

LOL there is no such thing as a Diamond Jubilee. A Diamond Jubilee is a Jubille is a Jubilee. The "Diamond" was a marketing scheme developed to hype the Jubilee Orpington using the Queens Diamond Jubilee as a launch pad. There is no difference between a Jubilee Orpington and a Diamond Jubilee Orpington.

LOL there is no such thing as a Diamond Jubilee. A Diamond Jubilee is a Jubille is a Jubilee. The "Diamond" was a marketing scheme developed to hype the Jubilee Orpington using the Queens Diamond Jubilee as a launch pad. There is no difference between a Jubilee Orpington and a Diamond Jubilee Orpington.

Um, sorry but you are incorrect.
smile.png

A Jubilee Orpington is genetically a Mille Fleur bird with the Mahogany gene (Mh/Mh)

A Diamond Jubilee Orpington is genetically a Mille Fleur bird without the Mahogany gene. (mh+/mh+)

The presence of the Mahogany gene is what changes the ground color of the golden feathers in a MF bird to a deep red/brown hue.

You were correct when you said that the variety was created to mark the Queen of England's 50th year of reign, just slightly misinformed about the 2 different color varieties.

Growing up in a few former British caribbean islands and Britain I never knew there was a difference in the two terms. I always considered them one in the same so this was very interesting to read and research.

"Jubilee colour variants: Mahogany, Ginger/Buff
There are two variants of Jubilee the Mahogany grounded colour is the traditional bird and a lighter more ginger to buff ground colour which is the specific of the Diamond Jubilee. It is believed that after WW2 the breed was recreated in Germany. The feather pattern is very complex and it can take a long while for the birds to be fully finished in terms of patterning and colour so patience required! The Chicks look nothing at all like the end result so all a genetic marvel really.
Again when considering buying Jubilees make sure the colours are right the plumage should be bright and vibrant a mahogany with black spangle and white the colours or if the ginger buff variant then the colours will vary accordingly. The spangle should be well broken and not blotchy or tending too much towards the Millefleur. The spangle should be even and well defined. The combination of the fluffiness with the Jubilees is what to look for, poorer stock lacks the distinctive Orpington Bantam soft contours and rounded shape and form." http://www.mooreestates.co.uk/

"Original strains were created from Dark Buff Orpingtons, Red Dorkings and Gold Spangled Hamburghs" http://www.britannicrarebreeds.co.uk/breedinfo/chicken_orpington.php

Second generation Jubilee Orpington rooster only get prettier as they mature!

Someone keep printing that breeders are taking advantage of selling older chicks that are older (knowing the sex of the chicks) I'm always upfront and honest about my chicks. I sell chicks in the order they are hatched (I do not have a unlimited supply) and this is all explained to my customers when they purchase from me. It is always best to ship older chicks then newly hatched babies. I have not lost one chick shipping this way. A little extra feathers helps keep them warm during shipping. I've been shipping chicks this way for many, many years. Of course if someone ended up with mostly rooster I would be the first to reimburse or replace them. I have never had a unhappy customer shipping this way only return customers. My first concern is always the welfare of these little chicks. This has nothing to do with making money off of people! (this rooster is from my breeding proram)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom