The Incubator Thread

Just had a batch of 17 eggs finish hatching. We lost 2 but the other 15 are all doing well. The brooder is full lol.
21 more due in the next week. Eek!! We're going to be over run by ducklings :)

Hi everyone! I am new to chicks and ducks. Only 6 months into it. I currently have 1 male and 1 female duck and am needing to hatch some eggs to get more females. My local farm stores only have ducks in the spring. Anyways, I am wanting to incubate 4 eggs and hope at least two hatch. My question is, since I only have one duck laying, do I leave the eggs on the counter until I have collected 4? Or what is the best way to go about this? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I have an incubator issue.

I have an incubator by farm innovations with a turner. I ran it for three days to get the temperature dialed in and I measure the temp with a 12" glass thermometer that I believe is accurate. I also have a acurite brand thermometer with humidity that I did the salt water test and is was right on at 75%.

I bought two sets of eggs from two sources (26 eggs) and had them shipped to me. when they arrived (2 days) I allowed them to rest 12 hrs at room temp big end up and then set them in the incubator big end up. the incubator has ran at 99 degrees and 55-65% humidity for 14 days. at the 14 day mark I candled them with an LED flashlight makeshift candler and I see no evidence of a chick development in any egg.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Sounds like an egg problem, not an incubator problem.

I had two issues.

1. I had two an incubator with a temperature swing of several degrees. I contacted the manufacture (farm innovations) and explained what it was doing. They had a new one at my house in two days.

2. I think we did have an egg issue. I got 24 local eggs and it looks like 23 may hatch. we are far enough along that I hear peeps.

I am wanting a incubator so bad... I even thought of making one but I can't really make anything. Maybe I will find one for a awesome price or someone will donate one to me.

If you check out not only BYC threads but also YouTube you don't have to be mechanically inclined and still be able to pull it off. There is a ton of DIY videos on there....
Good luck...

Hello newbie attempting first hatch. I've been running a steady 100 temperature but when I put eggs in it dropped to 95. Is this OK or normal?
It is normal for the temperatur to drop some when you first add egg since they are cooler than the incubator temps. It should come back up though. What is it reading now?

Back
Top Bottom