The Incubator Thread

Well the room temp is a little above 70 but they have been in there all night and the temp hasn't changed at all i expected the drop but i don't know if the thermometer is off or the incubator is not working correctly shouldn't it be going up by now???? Should I expect all the chicks not to hatch if the temp remains at 90 and is there any thing i can do to get it higher???

you could put a dish towel on it, but keep an eye on it so it doesn't get too hot. the early stages an egg can take the cooler temps. should not hurt it. plus it is better to rise the temp slower on the first day. eggs may hatch one day later.

Last edited:
thank you I'll give it a go. I would hate to loose the whole clutch.
fl.gif

the first 3 days or so it can be stop and go, as a hen my lay an egg then get off the nest and lay another egg the next day. once the eggs really start to develop, if the power goes of 12 hrs, they would still be fine, except maybe the last few days.

For this very reason, I like to have my incubator running for at least 24 hours before putting eggs in it. When I do the pre-test, I put sealed water bottles approximately equal to the volume of the eggs that will be going in. It's easier to maintain temps with a full bator. Then, after things are stable, and the eggs go in, I don't worry with that temp drop. It should stabalize.

Yeah I'll defiantly keep that in mind for the next batch
goodpost.gif
sense I'm new to incubating I figured I would have a few set backs
hmm.png
my bator is up to temp now so I hope I get some little peepers on day 20/21

I am on a very tight budget, so I want to get the Little Giant incubator. Will it work to not buy the egg turner and turn them manually?
Sure It Will!! "If you got more time than money" not a problem!! Look for good used ones on craigslist or similiar sites first----I have bought several in the $10 to $20 range, some with turners for $25 to $40 range.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom