The Incubator Thread

I have a Genesis HovaBator 1588 (1st incubator in a very long time). First batch of 18 eggs, the bator did ok. Temp ran a little high, but not bad. Humidity did ok, too. Hatched 13 out of the 18, & 3 of the remaining 5 just weren't any good. Happy with results. About 2/3 way thru 2nd batch, a full 42 eggs. Humidity has been giving me fits this time. Is it the difference in more eggs or could it just be the incubator acting up? Sticking with it & monitoring closely, & we'll get results in about a week. Just trying to troubleshoot & familiarize myself. Thanks in advance.
What kind of readings were you getting---low---high---in the earlier days and latter days. How many trays did you have water in in the beginning? Give us some more info!

What kind of readings were you getting---low---high---in the earlier days and latter days. How many trays did you have water in in the beginning? Give us some more info!

Sorry....before any eggs were put in, when I started it back up after the first hatch, I filled the #1 channel up, because I really wasn't sure how much I needed, putting the humidity way up over 70%. It ran for 2-3 days, gradually dropping to around 51-52% (my boyfriend's preference is around 50% for setting) & I added the eggs at that time. Over time it has varied. I don't log the readings, though that's not a bad idea, actually. One night, before going to bed, it read about 51%, so I let it be--next morning read 35%. Something similar has happened a couple other times. I'm adding only enough water to keep it around 50%. Lately, if it's below 50% @ bedtime (even just at 48-49%), I trickle a little in there & it has been reading usually between 52-54% in the morning. It seems to be settling down, or possibly I'm just managing it better, but I was just trying to find out if what I'm experiencing is considered relatively normal or could there possibly be issues with the incubator. I think the main thing is my monitoring & management & hopefully we can continue to use it for some successful hatching.

I just had 6/6 hatch homemade hand turn incubator. (big chick was from a diff batch)

I hear the first 11 days are the most important turn wise. I have 2 eggs currently in an incubator I have turned for 14 days, I will be gone for a week and let the hatch finish it's self. A diff time I had 11 eggs in an incubator I was gone for 5 days and came back 2 days after they had hatched. (food and water in incubator.) 7/11 hatched in that batch the 4 that didn't hatch got kicked away from the heat, but still not bad.

Last edited:
Sorry....before any eggs were put in, when I started it back up after the first hatch, I filled the #1 channel up, because I really wasn't sure how much I needed, putting the humidity way up over 70%. It ran for 2-3 days, gradually dropping to around 51-52% (my boyfriend's preference is around 50% for setting) & I added the eggs at that time. Over time it has varied. I don't log the readings, though that's not a bad idea, actually. One night, before going to bed, it read about 51%, so I let it be--next morning read 35%. Something similar has happened a couple other times. I'm adding only enough water to keep it around 50%. Lately, if it's below 50% @ bedtime (even just at 48-49%), I trickle a little in there & it has been reading usually between 52-54% in the morning. It seems to be settling down, or possibly I'm just managing it better, but I was just trying to find out if what I'm experiencing is considered relatively normal or could there possibly be issues with the incubator. I think the main thing is my monitoring & management & hopefully we can continue to use it for some successful hatching.
I generally keep my humidity around 30% during the first 2 weeks of incubation. Then, during the next few days until lock down, I can use that time to tweak the humidity if the air cells are off. Folks are having better hatches with a "dry" (low humidity days 1 - 18) hatch.

Last edited:
I generally keep my humidity around 30% during the first 2 weeks of incubation.  Then, during the next few days until lock down, I can use that time to tweak the humidity if the air cells are off.  Folks are having better hatches with a "dry" (low humidity days 1 - 18) hatch.

Thanks....sounds promising then, even if humidity wasn't where the boyfriend prefers it (he works out of town a lot so this is my "thing"). First hatch did maintain a lot better, & easily hung around 50%. As I previously said, we weren't disappointed with that hatch. 18 eggs total; 13 hatched & are doing great almost 3 wks later, 3 were infertile, 1 pipped but then died & the other 1 was trying to pip (we heard it) but never made it. I plan to candle these soon & maybe get an idea of how things are looking then.

Thanks very much for the info, fingers crossed.

I think you are Trying to hard, is it possible that the meter you are reading the humidity is reading a little high? I personally feel 50% is some high for the first 18 day---Lets put it this way---I would want mine lower.

If you want to lower it---reduce the water surface area---if you want it to increase---increase the water surface area. Don't go by readings right after you add water---give it a few hours to stabilize.
If its to low with No Water and to high with #1 filled---place some bigger rocks(or similiar) that are about the same height as the channel in #1 or cut a plastic container that will fit inside #1 and fill it so it holds/has less water surface.

I have read so many comments where so many are trying so hard to do everything right and so many have bad luck. Some weigh theirs, some mark the air sack, watch the humidity every few minutes they are up, some even get up in the middle of the night and check it. Then there is some that I think they could unplug their incubator for a couple days during lock-down and still have a great hatch---LOL. Some get very upset if one dies, some knock the just hatched roosters in the head so they don't have to feed them. I feel we all do what WE feel we need to do----then some like myself Feel Some of you are just Trying to hard BUT I Also Feel Its Your Incubator and You can Run it any way you want!

I run mine My way too---I do not weigh my eggs or mark air sacks, shoot some of my incubators do not even have a meter to measure the humidity---I know one incubator does not even have a thermometer in it. I got 5 incubators running right now---close 700 eggs----most of them will not even see me tomorrow. My Hatch % is usually 95+%---even 100% at times----I said this to say that Maybe some of you need to quit trying so hard. Good Luck!!

I think you are Trying to hard, is it possible that the meter you are reading the humidity is reading a little high? I personally feel 50% is some high for the first 18 day---Lets put it this way---I would want mine lower.

If you want to lower it---reduce the water surface area---if you want it to increase---increase the water surface area. Don't go by readings right after you add water---give it a few hours to stabilize.
If its to low with No Water and to high with #1 filled---place some bigger rocks(or similiar) that are about the same height as the channel in #1 or cut a plastic container that will fit inside #1 and fill it so it holds/has less water surface.

I have read so many comments where so many are trying so hard to do everything right and so many have bad luck. Some weigh theirs, some mark the air sack, watch the humidity every few minutes they are up, some even get up in the middle of the night and check it. Then there is some that I think they could unplug their incubator for a couple days during lock-down and still have a great hatch---LOL. Some get very upset if one dies, some knock the just hatched roosters in the head so they don't have to feed them. I feel we all do what WE feel we need to do----then some like myself Feel Some of you are just Trying to hard BUT I Also Feel Its Your Incubator and You can Run it any way you want!

I run mine My way too---I do not weigh my eggs or mark air sacks, shoot some of my incubators do not even have a meter to measure the humidity---I know one incubator does not even have a thermometer in it. I got 5 incubators running right now---close 700 eggs----most of them will not even see me tomorrow. My Hatch % is usually 95+%---even 100% at times----I said this to say that Maybe some of you need to quit trying so hard. Good Luck!!

Again, I very much appreciate your time & information. I'm learning.

The meter I go by is digital & on top of the eggs & reads lower than the one in the lid. I'm not trying to be a stickler. I don't mind if its 48-49%, except when I go to bed & won't be checking for a while, & yes, when I add water, I give it time before checking again. Of course, with your information, that may change (humidity level).

I don't disagree with you--maybe I am trying too hard--but, no, I don't weigh or any of the other stuff. I may candle twice during the set, maybe. Tonight I candled about, or just over half & things look ok for the most part. Even watched one chick moving around--awesome.

Thank you again! Very educational for me.

Brinsea 380 question.

I just bought a used one.

So far not a fan of the egg holders. My first attempt to load a tray gave me the impression you need to have consistent size eggs for the entire row.

My question is about aftermarket egg racks. Does anyone recommend any certain one? I've seen many listed for the GQF brand, just not finding any for Brinsea.

THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom