The Incubator Thread

Well, going in I knew what lockdown meant, but inadvertently created extenuating circumstances. My boyfriend has games but works away a lot & I don't know the different breeds well enough to just leave all eggs in a wide open 'bator, so I divised a grid divider. I was concerned it might interfere, but it didn't seem to on the first batch, so used it again this time around, but had a full load this time. I think this batch is the last one, for a while at least, but in the future I'm hoping to sort eggs into batches I can better identify & so I can do what I'm supposed to do--lockdown & let them hatch. He just may have to wait for more than one batch to get all his babies he wants.

When I did remove chicks & shells to make room, I was quick & it didn't seem to take long to regulate, but I don't disagree that I just need to learn to leave things be.

Biggest problem I'm having is finding "my way"--the incubator directions give some recommendations on temp/humidity, but if you ask 5 people their recommendations, you'll likely get 5 different answers. As far as I'm concerned, it takes time & experience to fine tune what works best. Each incubator is different, as are all the environments those 'bator's are in. Mine behaved better the first batch, but (humidity) gave me fits this time.

I'm learning
smile.png
I feel your "grid" would not be a problem if formed out of say 1/2" mesh hardware cloth. My hatcher has trays---and I have dividers that I place in each tray where needed to keep the chicks separated. These dividers are made out of 1/2" hardware cloth----they cause no problems because I usually hatch 95 to 100%.

Here is alot of the problems about asking 5 different people the same question----some of those 5 are not qualified to answer the question, but they want to help---they give you their way then if you go back and read old post---some of them have never had hardly any decent hatches. I read some bad advice on here and just have to hold my fingers back from typing what I feel.

You say "" while I don't expect perfection in life, I do have a tendency to expect it from myself"" and I feel that is a good thing and I feel you seem to have the desire to "Dig" for the right answer and the right way. I am the same way. I try to help on here---some pay my advice no attention---all I can do is offer----they can do what ever they want with that info. I am venting here----mainly because it takes so much of my time to type all this with my one finger + my spelling is not good----I could be doing other things with my time. Good Luck to you!!

I feel your "grid" would not be a problem if formed out of say 1/2" mesh hardware cloth. My hatcher has trays---and I have dividers that I place in each tray where needed to keep the chicks separated. These dividers are made out of 1/2" hardware cloth----they cause no problems because I usually hatch 95 to 100%.

Here is alot of the problems about asking 5 different people the same question----some of those 5 are not qualified to answer the question, but they want to help---they give you their way then if you go back and read old post---some of them have never had hardly any decent hatches. I read some bad advice on here and just have to hold my fingers back from typing what I feel.

You say "" while I don't expect perfection in life, I do have a tendency to expect it from myself"" and I feel that is a good thing and I feel you seem to have the desire to "Dig" for the right answer and the right way. I am the same way. I try to help on here---some pay my advice no attention---all I can do is offer----they can do what ever they want with that info. I am venting here----mainly because it takes so much of my time to type all this with my one finger + my spelling is not good----I could be doing other things with my time. Good Luck to you!!

The reason I felt my grid may be "suspect" is it was cardboard. Earlier today I had the same thought you mentioned...if I feel the need to divide in the future, I'll use 1/2" hardware cloth. That seemed to me like it shouldn't influence air flow or temp, or humidity.

I said this would probably be the last batch for a while, but I may experiment with 9 duck eggs--don't really need the ducks, but just curious if I can hatch them. If I hadn't pulled them, pretty sure my dogs would have. Even tho there is no need, I may experiment with the hardware cloth just to see how it goes. Oh, & lockdown will be just that ;)

By the way, does the humidity generally run the same for ducks?

Thanks again, PD, for your time & insight, & information.

I may experiment with 9 duck eggs--don't really need the ducks, but just curious if I can hatch them. If I hadn't pulled them, pretty sure my dogs would have. Even tho there is no need, I may experiment with the hardware cloth just to see how it goes. Oh, & lockdown will be just that
wink.png

By the way, does the humidity generally run the same for ducks?

Thanks again, PD, for your time & insight, & information.
I use the same temp and humidity for duck eggs, regular duck eggs take several days longer----25 to 28 days usually, muscovy take 35 to 38 days and are hard to hatch----I am told----have not found any yet to try.

I am looking for a hatcher. I have a Brinsea Octagon 20 for incubating, but I would really like to be able to put a few in at a time and move the eggs to a hatcher for lockdown. Has anyone tried the Rite Farm 3600. I'm thinking either that or another Brinsea Octagon. I definitely don't want styrofoam. TIA!

Anyone here have any humidity issues with a genesis 1588? This is my first run with an incubator. I set a test batch of eggs from my mixed flock and have noticed that even with filling the water tray as directed, the humidity is staying high. It is at 65-79%. I only have tray one filled. I live in a dry climate. I am considering using foil to cover part of the tray to reduce humidity. Any suggestions on regulating this?

Anyone here have any humidity issues with a genesis 1588? This is my first run with an incubator. I set a test batch of eggs from my mixed flock and have noticed that even with filling the water tray as directed, the humidity is staying high. It is at 65-79%. I only have tray one filled. I live in a dry climate. I am considering using foil to cover part of the tray to reduce humidity. Any suggestions on regulating this?
What is the humitidy with no water?

There is never no humidity. but I am not sure. I dry hatch, until day 19 or so, maybe put in a tad of water along the way and they still hatch really damp.

And I live in a dry climate, with a wood stove so go figure. never used a hydrometer. The way I see it is this too, my dad has a meter that can check his blood pressure, it is not calibrated by a professional just a cheap pharmacy meter. And boy does he worry which causes his blood pressure to go up, he goes to the doctor, he is all upset by the readings, they do a reading on him and he is fine.

Last edited:
That is what I have. first time using it right now hatching ducks. Make sure you have an alternative hygrometer to watch the humidity and heat. I discovered at lock down that it was about 2 degrees low on heat and not sure that it was correctly reading humidity. I have in fact ordered another cheap little hygrometer to check the other one.... I am worried about my 31 duck eggs. I know that they were good at lock down because I candled them. they are now on day 29 and one has hatched and I see pipping on 4-5 more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom