The insanity I'm suffering with incubator setting conflicts for Chukar eggs requirements

Thank you everyone for helping with your ideas! I really appreciate it! This is a science in patience and heart-felt spazz-attacks! I'm just doting around like a fool trying to keep it around the temp. I'm supposed to.

Ironically, I have bantams, hens that is. But they are not broody now. They are laying their pile of eggs and they are NOT ready to sit for any extended period of time for anything yet. The best bird I have is a pigeon, but she is "pre-programmed" to sit a clutch of eggs out for a touch over two weeks, so that fires that thought. No way there, although she is as tame and sweet as a dog is!

Did you check the meat thermometer, to be sure it is accurate?
Basically through logic. Now two meters agree, and the other ones are in the same field of "thought" with it. I can't find any means at which to do any perfect temperature gauge calibration method. I can't check the exact calibrated heat or cold source unless I know the calibrator is calibrated. Do you see my confusion? I'd have to time the exact moment to boil or freeze point to get a guaranteed millisecond reading of the exact moment of "rapture" when the gauges are united to the body source for temperature calibration. Unless I shove it where the sun don't shine and I am PERFECTLY healthy. That wouldn't even work, because a human body fluctuates naturally between temperatures, too.

UG!

I know I'm at "chirping" status here now, BUT I REALLY SHOULD BE AT SQUAKING!!!! It drives me coo-coo incubating. But I think I'm at an agreement with two of my meters and I'm going to cross my fingers and keep praying. I mean it. I pray! Along with science, I pray.:he:lau

I can't find any means at which to do any perfect temperature gauge calibration method. I can't check the exact calibrated heat or cold source unless I know the calibrator is calibrated. Do you see my confusion? I'd have to time the exact moment to boil or freeze point to get a guaranteed millisecond reading of the exact moment of "rapture" when the gauges are united to the body source for temperature calibration.

I think someone said it earlier in the thread, but ice water is often the easiest way to check a thermometer.

Fill a glass with ice cubes, add cold water, stir it around with the probe of the meat thermometer. Keep stirring, and the temperature should stabilize right at the freezing point, as the ice cubes try to melt and the water tries to freeze.

Or boil some water in a pan on the stove, and stick the meat thermometer in while it is boiling. As long as it stays boiling, it should stay the same temperature, because the water is turning into steam instead of getting hotter. (Check the temperature at which water boils for your elevation.)

Basically through logic. Now two meters agree, and the other ones are in the same field of "thought" with it.
That does at least help.

And if you incubate an entire batch of eggs, and they all hatch at just the right time, you know the temperature was right. If they hatch early or late, that could mean the temperature was high (early) or low (late). If they do not hatch at all, you know something was wrong, but you may not know exactly what.

It would help to post photos of your incubator and thermometer/hygrometers your using. Also, being able to see what your using might allow someone to step in to help you check calibrations.
Sorry, I posted the picture to a different responder, I am a bit getting confused. I'm old. I'm tired. I'm...:confused:

I think someone said it earlier in the thread, but ice water is often the easiest way to check a thermometer.

Fill a glass with ice cubes, add cold water, stir it around with the probe of the meat thermometer. Keep stirring, and the temperature should stabilize right at the freezing point, as the ice cubes try to melt and the water tries to freeze.

Or boil some water in a pan on the stove, and stick the meat thermometer in while it is boiling. As long as it stays boiling, it should stay the same temperature, because the water is turning into steam instead of getting hotter. (Check the temperature at which water boils for your elevation.)

That does at least help.

And if you incubate an entire batch of eggs, and they all hatch at just the right time, you know the temperature was right. If they hatch early or late, that could mean the temperature was high (early) or low (late). If they do not hatch at all, you know something was wrong, but you may not know exactly what.
Thank you. That much I can grasp. When my head calms down, I'll do the Ice method since I am not sure I can put the digital meat thermometer in boiling water (?) but that opens up another can of worms since I better look into what temps. it can handle. It's not a candy thermometer, nor an icecream thermometer. I hope I don't break it. It's for roasting lamb, etc. any meats. I doubt it goes to "well done" or frigid Eskimo "meatsickles". Nor could I with the other ones since they don't want those temps. either, would they? :lau:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, I posted the picture to a different responder, I am a bit getting confused. I'm old. I'm tired. I'm...:confused:
As long as you posted it somewhere in the thread, we can all see it :)
(You did post it, and I can see it, so presumably everyone else can see it too.)

If the meat thermometer has a metal probe to get the reading you can place it in boiling water. But ice bath is probably easier.
Mine reads from -40-311°F
This is the meat thermometer I use along with a standard one and a digital one
20220518_132922.jpg

If the meat thermometer has a metal probe to get the reading you can place it in boiling water. But ice bath is probably easier.
Mine reads from -40-311°F
This is the meat thermometer I use along with a standard one and a digital one
View attachment 3113526
:loveThank you for your input! I swear, it really helps. It is amazingly stressful knowing I have God's creatures here and I am trying my heartfelt best. I really hope they make it. I really hope all goes well. You have (maybe, ..) no idea how much I worry! So I truly and entirely appreciate your and everyone's input on this journey!!! I'm giving it my best. I wake up every 2&1/2 hours to check everything. It's somethin' else.!

Back
Top Bottom