The last of my flock

willowbranchfarm

Chicken Boots
12 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Its been too long since I've been here on backyardchickens. I've missed the information and members who are so kind. I made some good friends on here. I had chickens for 3 years and today I got rid of my last hen. The othesr had died and been killed. I will miss them and hope that one day I will get chickens again. I truly loved them and I'm blessed to have owned such great chickens.

I had a total of 10 one turned out to be a rooster who was my baby until I couldn't keep him anymore. He would sleep on my lap and watch tv with me until he was too big and then he would follow me around the yard. The rest where hens, two black Australorps, three buff Orpingtons and two sliver laced Wyandottes. I then decided I wanted bantams. Since I had to get rid of my favorite chicken (Jet my rooster) I got two Dutch Bantams. They were very cheep, $5 each, two hens that were show quality and my others weren't. I loved them all but my bantams became my new favorite. Here are my babies.

Willow (above)

Ella (above)

Bell (above)

Jet (above)

Buff Orpingtons

Princess (above)

Willow (above)

Ella left, fawn right (above)

Wendy (SLW) Princess (BO) Nellie (BA) (above)

Nellie facing the camera (above)

Amber my last chicken (above)

Beauty our best egg laying hen who started laying first (above)

Jet crowing (above)

I love them all and learned so much from them. RIP Jet (if you are still alive then sorry...he lives on a huge farm), Nellie, Beauty, Princess, Bell, Windy, Willow, Ella, and Fawn. Amber, I hope you have a good life. I'm glad you wont be lonely anymore. Thanks to everyone who helped me these past years. I'm glad I could share some information with you all and hope that I can continue to help. Thank you all!

~WillowBranchFarm

I am so sorry for your losses. Very pretty birds however and at least you had the chance to own them. Some people never get the chance to keep chickens. As Sourland has said, I hope you are able to get more chickens in the future.
smile.png

Thank you for posting pics of your babies. I am so sorry that you lost so many of them, and I hope that you can have chickens again one day as sourland said.

I have taken two chicken breaks before, and it really does help kind of soothe all the hurt of losses and problems. Then when I get chicks in the mail as I order more, it is a great healer.

They can never be replaced, each and every one. But the new ones that come into the coop do warm your heart. I still cry over the loss of some of mine.

Thank you for posting pics of your babies. I am so sorry that you lost so many of them, and I hope that you can have chickens again one day as sourland said.

I have taken two chicken breaks before, and it really does help kind of soothe all the hurt of losses and problems. Then when I get chicks in the mail as I order more, it is a great healer.

They can never be replaced, each and every one. But the new ones that come into the coop do warm your heart. I still cry over the loss of some of mine.

X2

Those are some really lovely chickens, beautiful. I hope you can have more in the future. I never knew what a wonderful experience it would be to have chickens until we got ours a few months ago. Now it seems like we've had them forever and I can't imagine not having them.

Your pictures are very nice and your coop looks like it was made with TLC. I hope you do get more chickens one day. I am new at raising chickens. May I ask how they passed? We are doing everything we can to keep our three safe. We have two hens, Gladys (isa brown) and Knight (black sex link) and one rooster, Pip (white leghorn). He was our baby and sat on our laps watching tv also when he was too young to go outside. Now he is the man of the coop. LOL.

Good luck deciding and I hope you write back!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom