The Last of the NC Poultry Shows this Fall?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by greenfamilyfarms, Aug 4, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Does anybody have any information on this? I've heard that NC has passed a new testing rule for poultry shows in the state, but cannot find any info on the ruling or law posted anywhere online.

What I've heard is that in March of 2011, NC will require folks to have birds tested 21 days before entering the state of NC and again each time you wish to enter the state unless the show dates fall within the same 21 day period. There is fear that this testing requirement will literally destroy the NC poultry shows, and since many folks travel out of state, even if the shows go on, they will be very, very small. This does no justice to any chicken breed since their will be literally no competition and nothing to compare.

So, if you know anything, please post it here for us NC folks. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. purplefrog

purplefrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Independence, Virginia
    This is true and will be in effect in 2011. They did the same thing in VA and ruined all the poultry events. I live in SW VA and we have NOTHING in the state at all on my end. I would have to drive over 6 hrs to show in a VA show. That was why I showed in NC.. So if I want to continue enjoying poultry shows, I have to comply to spending even more money in this tough economical times.

3. WNCUrbanAgrarian

WNCUrbanAgrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Green Family, did you ever find anything online about this? I was thinking of showing my Sebastopol Gander this fall, but don't know where to show him, and don't want to be hassled to do it either.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by