1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Legbar Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens

OMG -- well that alone is a very good reason to get that surgery....... (sigh).

2. anniesmom

anniesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you need cataract "surgery" - do it!

I had cataract "surgery" three years ago. It was totally no big deal. They make your eyes numb with drops. No needles! It only takes 10 or 15 minutes. The tiny little incision was already half healed the next day when you go in for a check on things. The only bad part was waiting two weeks for them to do the second eye. You can see almost perfectly basically right away. I could see leaves on trees on the way home that I hadn't seen in years. There is more than one kind of cataract. My Mom had a type that makes everything look kind of yellow and mine just made everything fuzzy. I only need glasses to read now. I'm still amazed at how well I can see. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I got them really early. Both my parents had had them corrected as well as my Mom's father. Genetics. [​IMG]

And, oh, 9 Legbar eggs are going to lockdown today!! The parents all came from GFF in March. Sure hope they aren't all boys.

3. ChicKat

Yea!!! I got 4 girls and 2 boys early in Sept. and 2 girls and 2 boys a week and a half ago.... You will probably make the averages... 4-5 girls.... yea more legbar babies in the world...

They are just so adorable.

4. normanack

normanack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    My mom is totally a No Medicines, No Surgery kind of person -- and abhorred the thought of anyone messing with her eyes.

She was THRILLED with her cataract removal: fast, easy, little to no pain, excellent vision right away, just like you said. :)

5. lawatt

lawatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    sonoma county
    hey thanks, i will! am totally new to the breed & to chickens in general... lots to learn

6. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California
    Really cute! I love the cream legbars <3

7. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Melows going through a molt so isnt the happies hen:
    [​IMG]

8. cjwaldon

cjwaldon Overrun With Chickens

Sep 11, 2011
    Missouri, USA
    My Coop
    This is one of my keepers, for now. All the other boys with big crests all have wonky combs. He's 14 weeks old.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. ChicKat

CJWaldon - he is very pretty -- has that 'look' in the eyes. Just at that age where you know he is going to be GOOD too.

Johnn - Melow is a character. I think she should be in a children's book or something --- hmmmm.

Back to crests. I really do love the crests....there is something about them that makes the birds distinctive.

10. redchicken9

redchicken9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern California
    Wow, I haven't seen a crest like that on a male!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by