The Legbar Thread!

I got my first few eggs from my CL pullets this week. I have one hen laying the normal color egg, but, I also have one who is laying a light "pink" egg. I guess you could call it a very light beige but it does have a sort of pink tint to it. So what should I think of this egg, and the hen that laid it? Should I consider hatching her eggs or not? She is a nicely conformed hen, though her crest is a bit on the big side.... think hat here, rather than crest. Hmmmmm

I got my first few eggs from my CL pullets this week. I have one hen laying the normal color egg, but, I also have one who is laying a light "pink" egg. I guess you could call it a very light beige but it does have a sort of pink tint to it. So what should I think of this egg, and the hen that laid it? Should I consider hatching her eggs or not? She is a nicely conformed hen, though her crest is a bit on the big side.... think hat here, rather than crest. Hmmmmm

Are you certain your CL pullet laid the pink egg? If so I would not hatch from her. CL should have 2 blue egg genes. If she is laying pink that means she does not carry the blue eggs gene. You do no want to introduce that into your future stock. Did all of your current stock come from the same source? If so keep in mind your male or males might have the same egg color issue as your pullet.

Yes, I am sure which hen laid the egg. All my CL's are in one pen. This egg was the only one in the nest box, and she was the one that was digging and scratching in there in preparation for laying. She is a pullet I bought this last month. <sigh> So she goes into my for sale pen along with my Penedesenca hen who is laying olive green eggs.

No, my 2 roo's came from different breeders. My four hens came from 2 different breeders also.

Last edited:
I'm melting she is so darn stinkin" cute!!!!! I put 23 Cream legbar eggs in the incubator today, and am hoping for some fuzzy cuties in 21 days! I've been stalking my hens for the past week collecting eggs! Your girl is so cute....I can already see her crest!
Thanks so much!
Oh I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see how it goes with your babies. Please post pics of whatever you can when you can! How many are in your flock and how long have you had them? Sorry, not trying to be nosey Just curious. I can already tell I'm going to love this breed.
21 days is going to seem like forever....
jumpy.gif

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments. it means so much!

Last edited:
Thanks so much!
Oh I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to see how it goes with your babies. Please post pics of whatever you can when you can! How many are in your flock and how long have you had them? Sorry, not trying to be nosey Just curious. I can already tell I'm going to love this breed.
21 days is going to seem like forever....
jumpy.gif

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments. it means so much!
I've had mine for a year now, i have 5 girls and 2 roos. Only 2 of the hens are breed worthy, and I am trying to build a flock. Out of 3 hatches last year, I only got one pullet, and tons of cockerells! This year I am going to hatch more aggressively to get my numbers up. I hope I have a good hatch. I'm not as successful as my good broody hen, who is not currently broody darn it. As soon as she is broody, I will have eggs ready for her! I love this breed too!
celebrate.gif

I've had mine for a year now, i have 5 girls and 2 roos. Only 2 of the hens are breed worthy, and I am trying to build a flock. Out of 3 hatches last year, I only got one pullet, and tons of cockerells! This year I am going to hatch more aggressively to get my numbers up. I hope I have a good hatch. I'm not as successful as my good broody hen, who is not currently broody darn it. As soon as she is broody, I will have eggs ready for her! I love this breed too!
celebrate.gif
You're still up? You live in WA like me, so I know it's late.
I really hope this hatch gives you more girls to work with. Unfortunately we are residential so no roosters allowed. Infact we really aren't supposed to have any (HOA's) but i know other neighbors do! If we had more space I'd def get another CL. Please keep us posted on the progress!

You're still up? You live in WA like me, so I know it's late.
I really hope this hatch gives you more girls to work with. Unfortunately we are residential so no roosters allowed. Infact we really aren't supposed to have any (HOA's) but i know other neighbors do! If we had more space I'd def get another CL. Please keep us posted on the progress!
Yes, I was still up, but must have nodded off before you posted, it was late even for pacific time! Our east coast BYC friends were probably already getting up for the day! LOL

I hate HOA's but it sounds like you live in one that doesn't go crazy with rule enforcement. I'm on 18 acres up on mount Spokane, so the sky is the limit, which is bad, I need limits!
lau.gif
Chicken math gets me every time!

I'll keep posting about the hatch, crossing fingers....

I've noticed lot's of Washington peeps here! It's awesome!
Yes, good to see! Hello fellow Washingtonians!
Minnehaha, loved you chicken joke- hahaha! If I had room for more than just layers I would def cross legbars with a frizzle leghorn. Cute w/ increased production of blue eggs. What's not to love?

Back
Top Bottom