The Legbar Thread!

There is a diagram of leghorn combs in the standard of perfection stating the ideal comb, too large, and too small which I think may be helpful when considering how small is too small and such
Here are some things that we don't want:

From The Mating and Breeding of Poultry by Lamona and Slocum (1920) Digitalized by Google

found on this internet site: https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/gms11-breeding-for-type/
So many ways to be imperfect huh?

I got rid of my pullet that was related to my cockerel and suddenly I had the best hatch yet. Almost all the Cream Legbar eggs hatched...10 pullets and 7 cockerels (one of the rare times that I got more pullets than cockerels).
Congratulations! Sounds great. Back tracking a bit -- with a question - were you one of the folks that seemed to have trouble hatching awhile back? I know some people were wondering if the breed overall was difficult to hatch. Thanks.

For People who like statistics...Just entered 5# for the 24 week weight for one of my males -- which makes him the heavy-weight champ. Next closest 24-week old is "Hope" owned by Junibutt back when Hope was 24 weeks and weighed in at 4.75#.

Those of you interested in contributing statistical data -- you needn't enter every chick, you needn't enter every milestone/marker -- but it is interesting to track and to compare. Send me a PM if you once started entering - and still have some of the same chickens - and want to enter them. Same with anyone with Cream Legbars up to 3-years old - You can start at any age -- but the milestones are farther apart as the chicken gets older.

Last edited:
Congratulations!  Sounds great.  Back tracking a bit -- with a question - were you one of the folks that seemed to have trouble hatching awhile back?  I know some people were wondering if the breed overall was difficult to hatch.  Thanks.
Yes, my oldest pullet was related to my cockerel and early on hatchability was low. As my younger pullets began to lay a higher percentage of eggs began to hatch. Now that all of my pullets are unrelated they are hatching as well as any of my breeds.

I think Spring has finally sprung! While we are going to get a little bit of a chill again next weekend, we are supposed to be near 60 today and 65 Monday. The snow is slowly melting and it seems spring is on the way! The daffodils are starting to pop up through the ground too. I'm so ready for spring!
celebrate.gif

Also, I just wanted to let anyone interested in a Jill Rees Cream Legbar Rooster know that I have updated my prices on my listing to include shipping. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...sters-updated-price-includes-shipping-and-box

Back
Top Bottom