The Legbar Thread!

I know I posted over in the Cream Legbar thread, but I really need to post here since my Legbars will be of the more "colorful" variety.

I went and picked them up Friday. I have five 2 week olds. All are showing a crest. The cockerel has a small one so hopefully it won't interfere with his comb.

I have six 2 day olds. All the pullets but one have very definite V's. You can see the one at the top left in the first pic. In the second pic, my little male is up on the feeder.

They get along fine together. The little ones think they are as big as the older ones. They try to keep up with them and do everything they do.

I have 2 cockerels and 9 pullets. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Last edited:
@henless super cute chicks! Congrats!!!

Do you plan to breed for the excess color also, or are they just your starting point on your way to SOP?

@henless super cute chicks! Congrats!!!

Do you plan to breed for the excess color also, or are they just your starting point on your way to SOP?
Their bright coloring is what I feel in love with when I first saw this breed. I think all those colors are so pretty, plus you get hens with a cute top notch and beautiful blue eggs to match! What more could you ask for? lol

I understand they are Cream Legbars. I like the cream color, but I like the bright colors more. I would like to get my birds to SOP, but with color. I'm new to chicken breeding, so it will take me a while before I get anywhere. I want to enjoy them along the way. I just think they are so pretty!

arlene is a character from her expression. Pretty colors of eggs. Does your camera shoot very "saturated"? or is everything that dark in 'real life'.
Yes, the pictures are slightly over-saturated, but Arlene is just a very dark Legbar to begin with.
smile.png

-Alexandra33

Their bright coloring is what I feel in love with when I first saw this breed. I think all those colors are so pretty, plus you get hens with a cute top notch and beautiful blue eggs to match! What more could you ask for? lol

I understand they are Cream Legbars. I like the cream color, but I like the bright colors more. I would like to get my birds to SOP, but with color. I'm new to chicken breeding, so it will take me a while before I get anywhere. I want to enjoy them along the way. I just think they are so pretty!
Hi henless

It is so cool that you are going to make a point of enjoying your CL.
celebrate.gif

Your statement made me really curious when you are talking about bright colors etc. do you mean more colorful than this one?

or another example of a Cream Legbar is the one that won the top poultry show in 2014

or did you mean more colorful than this one:

Any chance that you could post a picture of one like the ones you fell in love with? (Reason I'm asking is because there are a lot of us that fell in love with colors more intense than those in the thrid picture here. Thanks!

Hi henless

It is so cool that you are going to make a point of enjoying your CL.
celebrate.gif

Your statement made me really curious when you are talking about bright colors etc. do you mean more colorful than this one?

or another example of a Cream Legbar is the one that won the top poultry show in 2014

or did you mean more colorful than this one:

Any chance that you could post a picture of one like the ones you fell in love with? (Reason I'm asking is because there are a lot of us that fell in love with colors more intense than those in the thrid picture here. Thanks!
Im glad you asked this. Some people seem to like more color on their CL (which is ok, to each there own). But I think often people don't realize that some color is allowed and still falls into the SOP. Cream Legbar don't need to be colorless.

Here are some pics of the two flocks that my babies came from.

When you see these Roos in person, they just shine! I know these aren't perfect, but it gives me somewhere to start.

These are one generation from Greenfire. They are from the earlier birds that Greenfire had.

This may not be the appropriate place to display these pictures as this is a project bird. But I was interested how closely his conformation is to the Legbar. The second picture is extremely flattering to him. From the front, he usually stands so that his legs look like they came out of the came place-- no space between the legs as the photo suggests. He has no chest. Will he fill out? He is 5 1/2 mos old and crazy and a tick. I'm debating whether to keep this bird or get a Legbar rooster to further my project. My inclination is to get a Legbar rooster as this one is incredibly wild. Thoughts? And yes, I want as much color as I can possibly get. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the two flocks that my babies came from.

When you see these Roos in person, they just shine! I know these aren't perfect, but it gives me somewhere to start.

These are one generation from Greenfire. They are from the earlier birds that Greenfire had.
Thanks for posting -- One has really dark underparts and a light hackle - and then the chestnut on his wing and some in his saddles. One thing I like about this guy is that his tail looks more like that 45-degrees from horizontal that CL SOP calls for. This plumage shows a lot of contrast - and is very 'flashy' -- (I was going to say 'showy' but then it would be confused with Poultry exhibitions/shows.)

The other one appears to have a really upright comb in the background looking toward us. I like them both as the versions of a more saturated CL.

I know what you mean about how they will just shine...and how they will stand out in a crowd.

How great that you are starting on the journey -- and working with CLs that are going to preserve some genetics that are a bit off the beaten track since they come from the first GFF lines. I think that those lines may be becoming lost or diluted as they are intermixed. The first lines too are supposed to be the high-volume egg-layers. I have one here that is from the first lines -- and she does lay the largest eggs of all my CLs. I think that she has only one cresting gene though - so I won't use her for breeding. You may want to keep your eye out for exceptionally small crests when you start breeding (males will always have smaller crests (more like tufts) than females - but as time goes on you will get an eye for what is exceptionally small...and it may indicate only one cresting gene - since cresting is semi-dominant.

Keep posting pictures of your birds - I will be very interested in how they grow out!

Back
Top Bottom