The littlest duckling, should I be worried?

billplatypus

Hatching
Apr 16, 2016
Citrus Heights, Ca
I have 3 Swedish blacks that are 5 days old. They are super lively and cuddly. I am worried about the smallest, Pepper Ann. She eats, but not as voraciously or even close to the quantity that her sisters do. They are on a diet of Un medicated chick starter with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast mixed with goats milk to make it mushy. They got scrambled eggs with parsley as a treat today. I am a first time feather mama. Am I being silly or should I be worried about her?

We use water to make Purina Flock Raiser crumble into a mash. I am not sure about feeding goat milk to ducks. Even when I raised goats I did not give their milk to birds. I know it is more digestible than cow milk but my understanding is that birds don't digest milk products well.

Last edited:
I've made flock raiser mash with yogurt with no ill affect (and the ducks didn't seem to protest the dairy addition.)

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though, maybe once or twice a week, as @Duck Drover says ducklings aren't especially adept at digesting dairy.

Back
Top Bottom