The littlest duckling, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billplatypus, Jun 13, 2016.

1. billplatypus

billplatypus New Egg

Apr 16, 2016
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    I have 3 Swedish blacks that are 5 days old. They are super lively and cuddly. I am worried about the smallest, Pepper Ann. She eats, but not as voraciously or even close to the quantity that her sisters do. They are on a diet of Un medicated chick starter with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast mixed with goats milk to make it mushy. They got scrambled eggs with parsley as a treat today. I am a first time feather mama. Am I being silly or should I be worried about her?

2. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We use water to make Purina Flock Raiser crumble into a mash. I am not sure about feeding goat milk to ducks. Even when I raised goats I did not give their milk to birds. I know it is more digestible than cow milk but my understanding is that birds don't digest milk products well.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I've made flock raiser mash with yogurt with no ill affect (and the ducks didn't seem to protest the dairy addition.)

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis though, maybe once or twice a week, as @Duck Drover says ducklings aren't especially adept at digesting dairy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by