The long version

henryholub

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 5, 2012
Altus
Is it normal for a chicken to walk a little funny after laying her first egg?

Story: I have five pullets. Until today, I thought I had two RIR's, a Sussex, an australorp, and an brown-red ameracauna(breeder not hatchery). Yesterday I had my first green egg! except all day it had been the lorp that had been acting like it was going to lay. The ameracauna didn't look like she was ready yet. I noticed the lorp walking a little funny and didn't know quite what to make of it. Thought she may have become eggbound, but she hasn't. No cuts on her feet. Nothing visible to tell me of any injury. So I decide I should do some reading and after a couple hours of research I finally figured it out. Ready?

I don't own an australorp. I own a Black Americana. Ya know, the lack of wattles, presence of a beard and medium sized ear muffs, and the pea comb, probably should have been my first big clues. At 10 weeks old they probably don't look a lot different and the breeder I bought them from may have just made a mistake.

So it was the Pullet formerly know as lorp that laid the egg. I just need to know if I should be concerned about the slight hitch in her giddy up.

that sounds normal to me. Maybe she just has to get used to laying eggs. you know the youtube videos about chickens laying their first egg? After they lay it, the start to do a little limp. im sure its normal

Back
Top Bottom