1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The longest molt??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigDaddy'sGurl, Nov 25, 2011.

1. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    What is the longest molt you've endured? I'm going on 60 days since my bantam cochin, Petra, layed an egg. There was no obvious molting with her, maybe a little feather thinning, but now she's fluffed up better than before and acts quite chipper and happy...but no laying. All her coop mates are laying, even the other bantam cochin. They only freerange under supervision, so no egg hiding. This past summer she was my best layer and averaged missing only 3 days PER MONTH with no eggs. What is up??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I was wrong: just counted up and it has been 67 (!!!!!!!!!) days since her last egg. [​IMG]

But, I did see her go "inspect" the nest box a few minutes ago but she only lingered for around 3 minutes... but the fact that she even LOOKED at the box gives me a tiny amount of hope... [​IMG]

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Well, even if I am talking to myself here... an update!

I guess Petra (the girl in question) overheard me discussing this here thread with my daughter because...........................................................................................

She layed today!!! After 67 days of nothing, I found her in the nestbox and as she finished "working", she came out and gave a loud and proud egg song!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And since my flock is still on the 14 day withdrawal from wormer, I guess her little egg will be put in the incubator.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by