The louder they get....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckrut, Jan 31, 2012.

1. buckrut

buckrut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    New Kent County, Va.
    We have 9 laying ladies and it seems to be recently that right at sun up they are very vocal. It appears to be the 2 buffs that start but they all chime in. They start around 5:30am. They are secure in run/coop area so they can come and go as they please. Do I need to secure them in the coop and let them out everymorning? Will this help. We live in the country but do have neighbors. The coop/run area is about 50 yards from our bedroom and it wakes my wife up daily (I'm already at work). Thoughts?

2. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I just get up early & have coffee to the songs of the hens now - if that's not an option for your lady wife, then perhaps keeping the coop dark for an extra hour would work? We have a large tarp we throw over our coop during bad rainstorms. I'm pretty sure it would affect their laying (really, what doesn't?) but if your lady wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a bit of a surprise to find out how much noise birds make. Ya think, "If I don't get a rooster it'll be quiet in the morning." HA!

Sorry, no real suggestions: it's just the nature of the beast. Birds are amazed when they create an egg. So am I!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by