The mice have discovered my farmlet :(

Faracas

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Tacoma
Hello all,

I kept crossing my fingers, hoping it wouldn't happen. Silly, I know. But this morning I was greeting by droppings in both the chicken an duck runs, and what appeared to be temp nests in the straw as well. Haven't seen any, but they are definitely around. I live in an urban neighborhood, so I am not surprised by the rodents, and assume rats will soon follow if they are not here already. I would like to protect not only the birds (who are locked up at night, so I should be okay) but also my gardens.

Here's my situation. I have 4 housecats who do not go outside. 2 are 16+ years old and the other two are just... well... stupid. Not mouser material. I have three dogs - a lab/chessie, a shep mix and a lab/rottie puppy. Inside at night with free range of the yard during the day. I have 7 chickens in the coop and run, 2 cayugas in their run with a kennel that locks at night, 3 rabbits in the "barn" (converted carport) in a condo cage arrangement, 4 quail in a flight cage.

Getting a barn cat or two (fixed, of course) would be problematic because of the doggies. While they are used to cats, they still like to chase. Also, thats a lot of animals to be responsible for. My chickens are pretty savvy, so I am not concerned about feline injury to the flocks, but am concerned about the felines getting injured.

Poison is out of the question because of the dogs and neighborhood kitties. And kiddies, unfortunately. << Having issues with those little buggers breaking in as well. *sigh* That calls for electric fences, surveillance cameras and a stack of preprinted trespassing tickets
smile.png
>>

What would you recommend to nip this problem in the bud? I want to create a rodent nightmare zone without impacting my animal troop.

Thank you for any and all advice!

Thank you for the links. The kitty is Dio, who was found in the tall grass in front of my house last Memorial Day. He was just under 4 weeks old at the time, and we bonded via bottle.

Here's a first day pic, and a recent one.

3557753842_f3a9140c8e.jpg

4479459413_88b50339ea.jpg

Farm cat(s) would be ideal for me since I am a rescue queen, but I am unsure how to best integrate them into the herd. Do i get kittens and raise them entirely outside? Do I get established feral farm cats?

The live trap idea just makes me shudder - not because I would have to touch or dispose of said critters... that's not a big deal. I just prefer to not know how many, what kinds, etc. Cats are a good deterrent as well as a silent and invisible disposal
wink.png
UPDATE - Thank you for the NO SEE / NO TOUCH trap link. That I will give a try.

Tried the plastic owl approach... didn't help.
idunno.gif

4699933849_6cc7b5d180.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom