The Middle Tennessee Thread

I had to fence off my herbs in my garden. At first, when the chicks were old enough to wander the back yard, they took an extreme interest in the garden and were hiding out in the herbs.
hide.gif
I didn't have a problem with this until my plants started dying and I discovered they had scratched up some of the roots.
barnie.gif
I don't mind them pecking around the tomatoes and such, but not my herbs! LOL.
he.gif

So, now they're mad at me (snicker).
somad.gif
I can tell by the looks on their wee chicky faces!

I had to fence off my herbs in my garden. At first, when the chicks were old enough to wander the back yard, they took an extreme interest in the garden and were hiding out in the herbs.
hide.gif
I didn't have a problem with this until my plants started dying and I discovered they had scratched up some of the roots.
barnie.gif
I don't mind them pecking around the tomatoes and such, but not my herbs! LOL.
he.gif

So, now they're mad at me (snicker).
somad.gif
I can tell by the looks on their wee chicky faces!
I am also having a herb garden chicken dirt bathing issue. I have tried to get them to stop...I think next year they will have their own herb garden and I will leave clear spots for them to get in there! Maybe they will like that better than mine. they have mashed my fennel and mint until I think they are not gonna make it. I do throw herbs in their coop and next boxes so I guess they think the garden is theirs!!!

I am also having a herb garden chicken dirt bathing issue. I have tried to get them to stop...I think next year they will have their own herb garden and I will leave clear spots for them to get in there! Maybe they will like that better than mine. they have mashed my fennel and mint until I think they are not gonna make it. I do throw herbs in their coop and next boxes so I guess they think the garden is theirs!!!

Great idea - making them their own garden. My dill is very weak, and my parsley almost gone. I think I just rescued the rosemary and all else is doing well. The mint here is huge so they evidently haven't had a chance to smash it to pulp yet.

Mine only want to scratch up and dust bathe under my newly planted peach trees. I put fencing around them but the they just fly over it.
he.gif
Between them and the dogs I can't have anything nice. They're lucky love them like I do.

Ok, so I have 6 girls that are about 6 mos old and I just received 2 new ones Saturday. I have the new ones fenced in a smaller space in my coop just so my other girls can get acquainted with them without anyone getting hurt. How long should I keep them all separated for? When I do let them out, will I still have to keep the new ones in the coop to keep them from running off till they learn that this new place is now their home. By the way, I think the new ones are about 14 wks.
As long as they "see" each other for about 2 weeks to get used to each other you should be fine......I just introduced my new girls to the year olds after they were 8 weeks, I'm over protected, but also worried about letting them out with the others because they were smaller and we have hawks. There was some pecking and the younger ones have to wait to eat until the older ones let them, but it's getting better as the babies get more confident. For the first 2 evenings I had to help the young ones find the new coop to go into but It's been 2 weeks and they all get along now, only everyone tries to get the choice spot on the roost!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom